Thread: Duplicate Messages with GMail - Imap

Hybrid View

Default Duplicate Messages with GMail - Imap

Hi Forum,

First of all, thanks for the great email client. Especially in Linux.

I just installed Zimbra Desktop for linux. 7_2_1_ga_b11637_20120906070447.

I have successfully configured fastmail imap account without any issues. I am still trying to get the gmail imap working. I am trying to get past the initial sync first. But I couldn't. The problem is Zimbra keeps downloading the same messages over and over. The last attempt created 5 duplicates of each message. My gmail account does not have filters or labels. But I have created several folders and as many filters within Zimbra to move the messages to those folders. I observed that those folders were created as labels in my web gmail even though I have not attached any mails to these labels. I am not seeing any duplicates in the Inbox. All my duplicates are in the folders only. I was suspecting that because my internet went down few times, the sync process had to restart from the start and it downloaded same messages again and moved them to the folders. Maybe because Zimbra was not aware of the mails moved to the folders and kept on downloading. As this does not happen to mails in the inbox. But for the last few hours my internet has been steady and Zimbra had synced almost all of my mails. I am saying almost because the sent folder was still not in sync. At this point, the duplicates started to appear again. I am guessing that my initial sync would never be complete because of this.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

While writing this post, I got this idea. Reset the Zimbra sync. Then remove all the labels created by Zimbra in my gmail web. Create the folders in Zimbra desktop. Start a new sync. I will post if this works. But I am not sure if Zimbra would start to duplicate again in the next sync, once the folders are propagated as labels to my web gmail.

Thanks for any tips.

Regards,
    Vivek.

Hello,

My attempt as mentioned in my previous post failed. But the log file showed the following warn/error message just before duplicates started to appear in the folders. It's possible that my internet connection is not entirely reliable and this error might be the result of my internet going down for few seconds and coming back again. So I am not able to finish my first sync with my gmail account. Could there be any other reason?

2012-10-08 14:54:34,743 WARN [sync-mbox-vivek@gmail.com] [] datasource - UID FETCH failed: com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.CommandFailedException: UID FETCH failed: Error in response
    com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.CommandFailedException: UID FETCH failed: Error in response
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapRequest.failed(I mapRequest.java:210)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapRequest.send(Ima pRequest.java:103)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapRequest.sendChec kStatus(ImapRequest.java:111)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapConnection.uidFe tch(ImapConnection.java:331)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapFolderSync.fetch Messages(ImapFolderSync.java:843)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapFolderSync.fetch Messages(ImapFolderSync.java:750)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapFolderSync.syncM essages(ImapFolderSync.java:346)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.syncMessage s(ImapSync.java:326)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.syncFolders (ImapSync.java:239)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.importData( ImapSync.java:164)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.importData( ImapSync.java:136)
    at com.zimbra.cs.offline.OfflineImport.importData(Off lineImport.java:100)
    at com.zimbra.cs.offline.GMailImport.importData(GMail Import.java:53)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.DataSourceManager.importD ata(DataSourceManager.java:317)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.DataSourceManager.importD ata(DataSourceManager.java:277)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DataSourceMailbox.syncAllLoc alDataSources(DataSourceMailbox.java:439)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DataSourceMailbox.sync(DataS ourceMailbox.java:478)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DataSourceMailbox.syncOnTime r(DataSourceMailbox.java:406)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.SyncMailbox$1.run(SyncMailbo x.java:279)
    at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:512)
    at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:462)
    Caused by: com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.MailException: Exception in response handler
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapConnection.proce ssUntagged(ImapConnection.java:706)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapConnection.proce ssResponse(ImapConnection.java:678)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapConnection.waitF orResponse(ImapConnection.java:648)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapConnection.sendR equest(ImapConnection.java:515)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapRequest.send(Ima pRequest.java:95)

Hi There,

I zeroed in on the problem. It's not my internet connection at fault. Looks like there is one message in my Inbox that Zimbra is unable to fetch.

2012-10-09 14:35:40,705 INFO [sync-mbox-vivek@gmail.com] [] datasource - Fetching remaining messages one at a time for UIDs: [279, 278, 282, 281, 2$
    2012-10-09 14:35:40,705 INFO [sync-mbox-vivek@gmail.com] [] datasource - Fetching message for uid: 282
    2012-10-09 14:35:40,705 TRACE [sync-mbox-vivek@gmail.com] [] imap-client - C: C2371 UID FETCH 282 BODY.PEEK[]
    2012-10-09 14:35:40,706 DEBUG [sync-mbox-vivek@gmail.com] [] imap-client - setState: SELECTED -> CLOSED
    2012-10-09 14:35:40,706 ERROR [sync-mbox-vivek@gmail.com] [] datasource - Error while fetching message for UID 282

After this failure, duplicates start to appear.

How do I identify this message with UID 282?

For now, I will try to delete or archive this message using the sequence number from the last mail in my Inbox.

Thanks,
    Vivek.

Hi Folks,

I archived some mails from the end of my Inbox as I couldn't exactly locate which mail was causing the issue and Zimbra is now able to download all the mails correctly.

My another mistake: Having a POP3 mentality, I started creating folders locally/filters forcing Zimbra to move those messages to those folders. That's how I used to configure my other mail clients in gmail using POP3. But I guess IMAP is far superior in that aspect. You don't have to do that in IMAP/gmail. So all I did was to create filters in gmail and moved all my mails from Inbox to these labels. This has made Zimbra create these folders locally and started automatically syncing them. This is what I wanted exactly to begin with!

My only fear now is when my internet gets disrupted (which happens often here) and during that time hopefully Zimbra doesn't download the same message again. I now think it would not. And I have also ensured that there is always unique label to each message, so I hope there are no chances of duplicates.

Thanks again for such a great client and making it open. The best feature in Zimbra among other things is that it allows you to copy a table from a spreadsheet and paste it in the mail in HTML mode. I think this feature is simply amazing as I have not found this in any client in the Linux world. This feature helps me to reply to mails to people who use Outlook or Lotus notes without the formatting getting messed up.

I think I might miss one feature from POP3. To view my mails when there is no internet.

Regards,
    Vivek.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek456 View Post
    I think I might miss one feature from POP3. To view my mails when there is no internet.
    You can view the emails locally, ZD is an offline client and it synchronises with the server so you have an exact copy locally.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Great, thanks! That's all I need.

I finally got past the first sync successfully. But there were some old emails which zd couldn't download, so I had to thrash them for now.

I tried copying a chart from Libreoffice and I was not able to paste it in zd. Is it supported? Does it work with Excel charts in Windows?

Regards,
    Vivek.