1) Zimbra Desktop 7.2.1 has been released - actually about 2 months ago - 2012-09-06.
2) Zimbra Desktop 7.2.x doesn't even appear on Zimbra Product Management Portal
3) No announcement appears to have been made on this forum. (If I'm wrong, please point out the link, and I'll retract this point.)
4) Zimbra 8.0 is not backwards compatible with Zimbra Desktop versions prior to 7.2.1 for tagging purposes (as per Bug 62231).
5) Zimbra Desktop 7.2.1 is not compatible with Zimbra 7 for tagging purposes (as per Bug 63572, which remains unresolved).
6) Concerning tagging compatibility between 7/8 desktop and server - Bug 62231 and Bug 63572 - I cannot get a response as to what the current position is, and how it affects users. A response would be nice.
7) Zimbra Desktop 7.2.1 is possibly the last release of Zimbra Desktop (though not definitely) and possibly the only release to support Zimbra 8. Thus is it of particular significance for users to know about its release.
8) No further mention of the future prospects for Zimbra offline usage has been mooted by Zimbra. By Zimbra 9 (JudasPriest) or Zimbra 10 (Korn) will there be html 5 offline caching or something similar for desktop/laptop/netbook/tablet users?
Smartphone users at least have better syncing options with native clients - utilising the unified smartphone environment. Desktop OS users have no such luck - only the prospect of lots of fragmented apps, or unified apps that don't fully support Zimbra.
9) Alas, after many inadequate, tardy, or non-existent responses and announcements from Zimbra over many years, I'm somewhat unsurprised by this lack of communication with customers, users, and contributers.
This is a particularly galling issue for those users who are frequently told not to ask about release dates, and instead to check for announcements and check pm portal instead.