Thread: ZD Causes System Freezes And A Flickering Cursor

Default ZD Causes System Freezes And A Flickering Cursor

Windows XP SP3. ZD 7.2.1

This is a hard problem to explain well, but the last few versions of ZD have caused my enitre system to freeze up on occasion. I can still move the cursor around the screen, but all the windows get frozen and I can't minimize, maximize or do anything with them. Also, something happens to the cursor/pointer and it flickers rapidly. Sometimes it only affects ZD and I can use the other programs. But sometimes everything else gets unresponsive too. It only happens when ZD is running. Also, I usually cannot do a system shutdown when it happens because when I try to shut down either I am unable to select the system shutdown commands or, if I am, nothing happens when I select them. It's about at 90% hard freeze up.

It happens about once, sometimes twice per day. I did not have this problem until the last couple of versions of ZD.

Today, I tried to do a system shutdown and it was unable to close the zdclient.exe process and I had to terminate the process to do a shut down.

This happens on 3 different computers I use so I am assuming that it has already been reported and that you guys are aware of it. Although with a quick search I didn't see anything here. I hope it can be fixed because it's a real pain! ZD is awesome except for this problem.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post
    This happens on 3 different computers I use so I am assuming that it has already been reported and that you guys are aware of it.
    Why do you assume that? I don't see that problem on any version of WIndows that I use nor have I ever seen it reported in these forums and I don't think there's any bug report about it. If I were you I'd file a bug report with as much detail as you can (also include the amount of RAM on your systems and whether you have any firewall, anti-virus or any form of anti-malware running (if you do then try disabling them and see if anything changes). Bug reports go in bugzilla not these forums, these are Community support forums not official Zimbra Support.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I want to add some more details to the symptoms. When the cursor flickers, it alternates between two cursors rapidly... the "hand" and the arrow pointer. Sometimes it freezes everything and sometimes just Zimbra is frozen. Sometimes, if everything is not frozen, I can sort of unfreeze it by relaunching ZD (even though it is already open). It seems to get the attention of the ZD window and make it unfrozen. But I'd say that only works maybe 1 out of 5 times even if things are not completely frozen and you are able to launch it again.

Usually, after a few minutes, everything gets unfrozen until it happens again... typically a few hours later. I won't post again about this problem since it seems that it's not welcome here. Hopefully someone else has already reported this problem through the acceptable channel. If not, oh well. Thanks...
    Last edited by Ryan1; 12-12-2012 at 01:42 PM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I won't post again about this problem since it seems that it's not welcome here.
    That's a rather silly comment. nobody said your post wasn't 'welcome' here, these are public forums after all.

Hopefully someone else has already reported this problem through the acceptable channel. If not, oh well. Thanks...
    What I was pointing out in my previous post is that bug reports do not go in these forums, they go in bugzilla. If you can't be bothered the check bugzilla and help Zimbra improve the product then your 'problem' will remain.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Well, I wasted my time with that advice and I did post the bug on bugzilla. Now the new version is out and not a thing has changed. Same problem still exists. It sucks and ruins the entire ZD experience.

I was a defender of the ZD developers when some were going sour on them. I held out a long time. But now I have to say I am badly disappointed. It's been what? About a year since the last release? And this is what they come up with?

What's new in Zimbra Desktop 7.2.2 Build 11951:
    March 26th, 2013

"Major Issues Fixed:
    · Fixed issue causing selected language to revert to English (United States). Selected language now displays properly and does not revert.
    · Fixed issue when canceling a single instance of a recurring appointment. The cancellation of an instance that has already been canceled no longer replicates as a SetAppointmentRequest in the server mailbox.log.
    · Calendar localization issues have been fixed for de, pl, ro, fr, ms, hu, pt_BR and other locales.
    "

Gee wiz. THREE changes in a year?

And not a thing that helps me.

It's a free program so they have no obligation to me or anyone else to do anything at all. But their lack of responsiveness and apparent pride in their work is extremely disappointing. I know one man shop developers who do a far better job of it.

Guess I'll have to wait another year to find out if there is even a chance they will address the bug that I submitted.

ZD was a great idea, but what's the point if it has fatal bugs that make it nearly worthless to me and unresponsive and unavailable developers who aren't interested in fixing them. I really only use ZD because of my legacy yahoo mail accounts anyway. Fortunately I will be able to phase them out soon and I can give ZD the boot. It's a great idea that doesn't work and has been a source of major frustration that I just can't deal with anymore. It's very disappointing.

Ryan
    if you have a freeze..
    use procexp to identify which app is active during freeze..
    antivirus, ms own window updates, are notorious eating up cpu resources...especially you have a slower single processor.
    also check if your system had been infected.....give better background will get faster solution.

added..most of the time when pointer flicker..my experience is likely a driver issues...recent updates etc..
    Last edited by cf7; 04-14-2013 at 10:04 AM.

It's the zdclient.exe process. It's eating up 50% or more of my cpu nonstop. Nothing else has a problem and its a clean system. I have to terminate that process and relaunch zd to get it to work. I can close and shut down everything else except ZD and ZD is still a frozen mess. ZD is a massive resource hog. Could it be a driver conflict? I can't prove that it isn't, so yes its possible. But there isn't much I can do about that if it is. I've been down that road before over the years and it always ends badly. It didn't happen (on this same machine) with previous versions of ZD prior to the last two versions I think. But those prior versions had so many other bugs they were still a royal pain. They finally got most of those problems fixed, things were finally starting to get good, but then I started getting this new problem when that version came out and now it is worse than ever. I'm a patient guy, but this is so annoying. Their communication is abysmal and it seems hopeless to get anything done about it.

I can only offer my opinion that you can try again...my experience with 7.2.2 is quite interesting.. it failed to start after install...uninstall..re-install.. did do anything and it works.. for both of my cpus....win7 . in my opinion..the installation does have an unstable somewhere...hopefully zimbra staff can fix the installation package.