Thread: Help with Extracting email from Zimbra Desktop

Question Help with Extracting email from Zimbra Desktop

Hi all,

I appologize if I duplicate an already existing topic, but the issue is of personal importance to me. Without further intro I will explain.

I downloaded Zimbra Desktop to test it as a free alternative of MS Outlook. I am currently using Windows 7 Professional x64bits. I add two different email accounts to it: Gmail+one not very famous. What happend is that, on the second account, once the Zimbra Desktop syncornized, the original messages in my email (when I log in through a browser) disappeared. I want them back there OR I just want a backup of them, since I am soon switching to Windows 8.

There are a couple of threads regarding back up, BUT the commands they describe are NOT present in my version of Zimbra Desktop: Zimbra Desktop 7.2.1 GA (build 11637). So I what I am asking is how do I retrive or backup my messages? Do they reappear when I uninstall Zimbra Desktop>?

Thanks in advance

Offtopic: Thanks to the moderator for moving my topic to the correct place. I just now saw. I am really grateful for the patience.

Ontopic: Anyone pls? who managed to transfer his old messages? Are you telling me that if you don't have Zimbra account and a person installs this application, part of his old emails disappear?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sutura View Post
    Are you telling me that if you don't have Zimbra account and a person installs this application, part of his old emails disappear?
    What sort of account is this, a POP3 or IMAP account?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    What sort of account is this, a POP3 or IMAP account?
    I think it is POP3. I saw a suggestion to archive certain folders from the installation directory. But the whole folder is 201mb or so and the whole archive of my email in Zimbra is 500mb. I already archived the installation folder just in case.

I think it is POP3.
    That's the problem, POP3 only allows mail to be removed from the server. Do you have the option to use an IMAP account at this mail provider?

I saw a suggestion to archive certain folders from the installation directory. But the whole folder is 201mb or so and the whole archive of my email in Zimbra is 500mb. I already archived the installation folder just in case.
    The first thing I'd suggest you do is start ZD and go to the Preferences tab and click on the Backup option, create a backup of your email accounts. The next step depend on your answer to my previous question about IMAP.
    Regards

Bill

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...P9KzntJq2ZMPDY

Hope it opens fine. Thank you for the support. Appreciated. The provider of the mail is this one: Mail.bg, dunno if I can use IMAP, I will try to contact them. If I loose the messages, its not the end of the world after all.

The backup option is in the left panel (see attached screen grab).

The provider of the mail is this one: Mail.bg, dunno if I can use IMAP, I will try to contact them.
    According to their web site they provide IMAP access, once you've done the backup you could also try uploading the email to another IMAP account such as google mail - do you have an account there?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards

Bill

Thank you very much! I did the back up, I think that will suffice. I manually copied the file to my other drives. What do you mean to upload it to Gmail? I do have an accoun there. Upload it through Zimbra?