Thread: Error - Cannot connect to server

Default Error - Cannot connect to server

Zimbra 7.2.1 (build 11637)

I am getting this irritating error box "Cannot connect to server" that does not let me even access my emails that are already downloaded to my desktop. Is there anyway to turn this error notification off so that I can access my emails or the possibility to fix this error without the error message preventing me to try and fix the mail accounts?
    Last edited by rblegair; 01-30-2013 at 02:47 AM.

We're getting this error also. It says to re-install and try again. Emails are downloaded from (and not kept on) our account. Will we lose the emails when we re-install?

Default Count me in

Quote Originally Posted by cassi View Post
    We're getting this error also. It says to re-install and try again. Emails are downloaded from (and not kept on) our account. Will we lose the emails when we re-install?
    I have been getting this error since installing 7.2.1. I just finished removing every trace of Zimbra and Zimbra Desktop on my Ubuntu system. I then reinstalled and added my accounts. First sync, same error. ALways the same when you look at details "EMPTY RESPONSE".

I've been using zdesktop since version 1 and I'm still waiting for a version that has been tested in daily use.

Default Me too, partial fix?

I looked at the error log and see a ton of Javascript errros. I confess I don't know what the root of the problem is, but Z Desktop was unusable. However, seems to me that Zimbra Desktop is very "brittle", IOW any little thing makes it unresponsive. I mitigated the problem somewhat on my machine by making the following changed, which prevented a script crash. I'm giiving the file location on Linux, but I'm sure people can find it on Windows or the Mac easily enough. The file is

/opt/zimbra/zdesktop/jetty/webapp/szimbra/js/Startup1_2_all.js

Search and find the following code:

ZmTreeView.prototype.getTreeItemById=function(e){
    return this._treeItemHash[e]

This function is taking "e" as a parameter and assuming that it is a valid index to the hashtable. If it is not an error is thrown and Z Desktop borks. So I added error checking and return null. It seems that the callers do enough error checking that if they get a null return they handle it more gracefuly:

ZmTreeView.prototype.getTreeItemById=function(e){
    if (!(e in this._treeItemHash)) {
    return null;
    }
    return this._treeItemHash[e]

This isn't a true fix, it would take someone with more time on their hands than me and more knowledge of the code. However, I will say that I am a bit taken aback by the lack of error checking on method calls and returns. I seriously doubt that there is any unit testing done on this code.

rabinnh

Quote Originally Posted by rabinnh2 View Post
    I have been getting this error since installing 7.2.1. I just finished removing every trace of Zimbra and Zimbra Desktop on my Ubuntu system. I then reinstalled and added my accounts. First sync, same error. ALways the same when you look at details "EMPTY RESPONSE".

I've been using zdesktop since version 1 and I'm still waiting for a version that has been tested in daily use.