Thread: TLS 587 outgoing SMTP server?

Default TLS 587 outgoing SMTP server?

Hi all,

I have finally managed to install Zimbra Desktop (7.2.1 GA, build 11637, on Windows 7 SP! 32-bit), after eventually getting past the infuriating email account set-up dialog. Apparently if you cannot set up an email account that validates successfully, thou shalt not start the program. Controlling idea to begin with, but in addition, the set-up does not allow the choice of TLS for the outgoing server. As a result, my account (IMAP) would not validate and I could get nowhere. After trying all possible combinations, I finally got through with no encryption, port 25, and server login. Naturally enough, the account does not work, since the server requires TLS encryption on port 587. I have searched the help, but there is no mention of TLS, and I cannot find this setting via the interface.

Does anyone know whether Zimbra Desktop supports TLS for the smtp server, and if so, how to enable it? Or is there some other solution?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Illy.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by illywhacker View Post
    Naturally enough, the account does not work, since the server requires TLS encryption on port 587. I have searched the help, but there is no mention of TLS, and I cannot find this setting via the interface.
    Really? That does surprise me, it works on my ZD 7.2.1.

TLS.png
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi Bill,

Many thanks for your reply. However, I am not sure I understand. Could you explain how you have TLS encryption for the outgoing server? Your screenshot shows TLS for the incoming server. The security choices for the outgoing server do not include TLS in my version. Most email clients I have seen include TLS as an option for the outgoing server as well. I have never had a problem configuring email clients before, which suggests that, at least, this is unintuitive.

Many thanks in advance.

Illy.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by illywhacker View Post
    Many thanks for your reply. However, I am not sure I understand. Could you explain how you have TLS encryption for the outgoing server?
    How to make a fool of yourself in one easy lesson: don't read the thread title.

Sorry about that, and you're correct, it's SSL only at the moment. You might like to try the suggestion in this bug report (and vote on it) to see if it works for you.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi Bill,

No problem: it is easily done.

Thank you for your suggestion of the bug report. However, there is no explanation in the bug report of what the suggestion accomplishes, i.e. how it works around the problem. I would prefer to have some idea of this before I start trying to access my work email with it. It also raises the question of how many more bugs/holes there will be in Zimbra Desktop's capabilities if I proceed: I do not have time to search around for solutions (or not) to trivial problems. I have read, for example, that Zimbra Desktop will only sync public Google calendars, which renders the calendar functionality pointless for me. So, until it is properly implemented, I will have to give Zimbra a miss I think. Pity.

Thanks for your help.

Illy.
    Last edited by illywhacker; 02-13-2013 at 09:27 AM.