Thread: PLEASE help me to recover emails deleted from trash bin.

Default PLEASE help me to recover emails deleted from trash bin.

Hello everybody. I have done something really silly and it is very, very, important that I rectify the situation. Quite simply, I deleted several batches of emails which I then went forth and deleted again from the trash bin. A lot of money rests on me being able to recover these emails. I am sure they must be recoverable? They were deleted on 20 June 2014. I do NOT know the version of Zimbra Desktop, nor do I know anything technical about it. I am NOT an IT or computer worker. I am a sales person who really does not know much about computers at all. Please, if you are kind enough to offer answers, treat me like a 'dummy' and use basic language and easy to follow step-by-step instructions. Please, please somebody help me. I am in the biggest fix of my life, ever, genuinely. Kind regards, Nick.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bassettndf View Post
    I have done something really silly and it is very, very, important that I rectify the situation. Quite simply, I deleted several batches of emails which I then went forth and deleted again from the trash bin.
    If you have removed the email from the Trash (you should have seen a warning at this point) then I'm afraid they are gone for good. Unless you have a backup of your mail or the Admin of the server to which you're connecting has a backup of your mail then there's nothing that can be done.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by bassettndf View Post
    Please, if you are kind enough to offer answers, treat me like a 'dummy' and use basic language and easy to follow step-by-step instructions. Please, please somebody help me. I am in the biggest fix of my life, ever, genuinely. Kind regards, Nick.
    I'm very sorry, but this is not a job for a "dummy". In Zimbra Desktop, each E-mail is stored as a file on the hard disk. Your best bet is to un-plug your PC and seek help from a data recovery professional.

I'm *assuming* you are using Windows, and if you are very lucky then your E-mail files *might* be able to be un-deleted. *might* being a relative term depending entirely on how much you have used your machine and how much has been written to the disk since you performed your silly error. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but this is not easy to recover from (if at all recoverable). I see you are in the UK, so I'm talking high hundreds of pounds to do right. You need to seek professional help. As Bill said, there is nothing we can do to help you.

I do this stuff frequently for people, and the first step is to take a complete image of the disk and then go exploring. This is not a cheap, nor easy exercise and often a fruitless fishing expedition. Deleted is often deleted and overwritten.

I strongly suggest you research comprehensive backups. I've been lucky enough to recover information for people who've risked both their wedding photos and the first 2 years of their childs life. I actually make a point of withholding their information until they've put a sufficiently adequate backup scheme in place.