Thread: Unable to add Gmail account

Question Unable to add Gmail account

Hi all. I'm a newbie and have not been able to add my Gmail acct to Zimbra. It looks like the issue is that Gmail blocks access by less secure devices (in this case Zimbra).
    Is the only way to add Gmail to Zimbra, is to allow my Gmail account to become less secure by disabling the app access block?
    Is Zimbra not secure in how they connect to our other email accounts?

Gmail's info: "Allowing less secure apps to access your account. Google may block sign in attempts from some apps or devices that do not use modern security standards. Since these apps and devices are easier to break into, blocking them helps keep your account safer.
    Some examples of apps that do not support the latest security standards include:
    The Mail app on your iPhone or iPad with iOS 6 or below
    The Mail app on your Windows phone preceding the 8.1 release
    Some Desktop mail clients like Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird

To help keep your account secure, we may block these less secure apps from accessing your account, and you’ll see a “Password incorrect” error when trying to sign in. If this is the case, you have two options:
    Upgrade to a more secure app that uses the most up to date security measures. All Google products, like Gmail, use the latest security measures.
    Go to Allow less secure apps and choose “Allow” to let less secure apps access your Google account. We don't recommend this option because it may make it easier for someone to gain access to your account. "

Another question I have is: once an acct is added to Zimbra, is there any reason that I should not delete all of my email from the yahoo mail server and just keep everything in Zimbra, in folders with sync turned off?
    I would like to just sync the inbox and sent mail folders and then transfer new messages I want to save into the unsynced folders for long term safe keeping (in addition to backing up everything to my computer too). Any issues with this plan?

Thank you!
    Last edited by xepi; 08-14-2014 at 06:21 PM.

I just added a gmail account to my ZD 7.2.5 Mac Mavericks and did not see that warning. You need to learn about POP, IMAP, and firewalls. Sounds like you want to set up Yahoo as POP and Gmail as IMAP?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack221144 View Post
    I just added a gmail account to my ZD 7.2.5 Mac Mavericks and did not see that warning. You need to learn about POP, IMAP, and firewalls. Sounds like you want to set up Yahoo as POP and Gmail as IMAP?
    Thanks for writing. I dont know a ton about POP/IMAP etc. but get the general gist of it all. I was able to successfully add one of two of my Yahoo accounts but get the access error when trying to add Gmail. The info I posted in the previous post is what I found and made sense as to why I couldnt add Gmail. That I have to turn off app security to my Gmail to be able to add it to Zimbra is what is concerning. I mean, I get that I need to turn it off but then worry that my Gmail is exposed if I do.?

I am not sure why my second Yahoo account wont sync all the way. The folders are all there but empty and it wont sync.

Perhaps there is less a question now and more a decision I need to make as to whether to use Zimbra or not.
    Thanks for anyone's input though.

Quote Originally Posted by xepi View Post
    Thanks for writing. I dont know a ton about POP/IMAP etc. but get the general gist of it all. I was able to successfully add one of two of my Yahoo accounts but get the access error when trying to add Gmail. The info I posted in the previous post is what I found and made sense as to why I couldnt add Gmail. That I have to turn off app security to my Gmail to be able to add it to Zimbra is what is concerning. I mean, I get that I need to turn it off but then worry that my Gmail is exposed if I do.?

I am not sure why my second Yahoo account wont sync all the way. The folders are all there but empty and it wont sync.

Perhaps there is less a question now and more a decision I need to make as to whether to use Zimbra or not.
    Thanks for anyone's input though.
    Did you try to set up gmail as POP? If so, maybe that is why you got the warning/error message. POP protocol downloads messages from the server while IMAP leaves them on the server. I am not aware of gmail warning about app security. You need to post the exact messages you are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack221144 View Post
    Did you try to set up gmail as POP? If so, maybe that is why you got the warning/error message. POP protocol downloads messages from the server while IMAP leaves them on the server. I am not aware of gmail warning about app security. You need to post the exact messages you are getting.
    I am editing this post as I was able to add my Gmail account once I enabled the less secure setting on my Gmail account to allow apps to connect. Backed up my emails and then disabling the app access on Gmail until I am ready to sync new stuff to Zimbra. A good enough work around.

Still unable to fully sync my second Yahoo account though. All of the folders show up, but none of the emails are inside. Not sure what the issue is as my other synced yahoo account works perfectly on Zimbra.

Error message below.

Product name: Zimbra Desktop
    Product version: 7.2.5
    Build ID: 12038
    Release type: GA
    OS Platform: Windows 7 x86 6.1
    Time of event: 2014-08-20 20:49:41
    Error type: C:\Users\ZEPPEL~1\AppData\Local\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\store\incoming\1408592883176-2.msg (Access is denied)
    Item ID: 1
    Error summary: Sync failed due to IOException for the following items
    Items will be retried on next sync
    Item Id: 219145 Message: Exception syncing UID 219145 in folder Accounts online etc.

Failure details - PLEASE REMOVE ANY SENSITIVE INFORMATION
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\ZEPPEL~1\AppData\Local\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\store\incoming\1408592883176-2.msg (Access is denied)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.zimbra.znative.IO.link(IO.java:80)
    at com.zimbra.cs.store.file.FileBlobStore.link(FileBl obStore.java:204)
    at com.zimbra.cs.store.file.FileBlobStore.link(FileBl obStore.java:177)
    at com.zimbra.cs.store.file.FileBlobStore.link(FileBl obStore.java:44)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessageInternal(M ailbox.java:5077)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessage(Mailbox.j ava:4811)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessage(Mailbox.j ava:4746)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessage(Mailbox.j ava:4688)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.MailItemImport.addMessage (MailItemImport.java:96)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapFolderSync.handl eFetch(ImapFolderSync.java:922)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapFolderSync.acces s$200(ImapFolderSync.java:63)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapFolderSync$1.han dleFetchResponse(ImapFolderSync.java:827)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.FetchResponseHandler .handleResponse(FetchResponseHandler.java:32)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapConnection.proce ssUntagged(ImapConnection.java:704)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapConnection.proce ssResponse(ImapConnection.java:678)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapConnection.waitF orResponse(ImapConnection.java:648)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapConnection.sendR equest(ImapConnection.java:515)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapRequest.send(Ima pRequest.java:95)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapRequest.sendChec kStatus(ImapRequest.java:111)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapConnection.uidFe tch(ImapConnection.java:331)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapFolderSync.fetch Messages(ImapFolderSync.java:843)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapFolderSync.fetch Messages(ImapFolderSync.java:750)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapFolderSync.syncM essages(ImapFolderSync.java:346)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.syncMessage s(ImapSync.java:326)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.syncFolders (ImapSync.java:239)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.importData( ImapSync.java:164)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.importData( ImapSync.java:136)
    at com.zimbra.cs.offline.OfflineImport.importData(Off lineImport.java:100)
    at com.zimbra.cs.offline.YMailImport.importData(YMail Import.java:54)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.DataSourceManager.importD ata(DataSourceManager.java:317)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.DataSourceManager.importD ata(DataSourceManager.java:277)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DataSourceMailbox.syncAllLoc alDataSources(DataSourceMailbox.java:439)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DataSourceMailbox.sync(DataS ourceMailbox.java:478)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DataSourceMailbox.syncOnTime r(DataSourceMailbox.java:406)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.SyncMailbox$1.run(SyncMailbo x.java:279)
    at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by xepi; 08-21-2014 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Fixed one of two problems myself.

Not to ask the obvious but are you using the 'Yahoo' account type in ZD? If so and you get the error, delete the account and set it up again.

Regarding gmail and less secure apps setting, just be sure you are using SSL for SMTP and IMAP/POP and you are fine from a security standpoint. The password will be submitted over the SSL encryption. I am pretty sure ZD uses SSL to gmail and yahoo.