Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Ready to help with Spanish l10n

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    We've got a new format of the files now, and we can post that early next week.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    We've got a new format of the files now, and we can post that early next week.
    Hi Kevin,

    this is my first post here.
    I'm interesting to translate this web app to spanish and italian.
    Discovering the sources i have found that the message string are like a OSX Localized.strings so i think that is possible to use AppleGlot with the free glossaries from Apple.
    Any future localization can be easly updated with this tool (not opensource but free).

    I have another question:

    Is there a plan to create the debian/Sarge packages? :-)
    For the moment I'll go to install a fedora core4, but debian is better.

    best,
    MaX

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Great. We've got a couple folks already working on Spanish. You'd be the first on Italian, which is good. Thanks for the tip on AppleGlot.

    Your not alone on Debian, I'm sure we'll get to it at some point.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Great. We've got a couple folks already working on Spanish. You'd be the first on Italian, which is good. Thanks for the tip on AppleGlot.

    Your not alone on Debian, I'm sure we'll get to it at some point.
    Hi Kevin,

    I'm trying to import the js files in Appleglot (AG3 for the friends)... and works perfectly!! :-)
    in this moment i have translated about 50% of spanish and 60% of italian .... automagically!

    I read that the developers will change the structure, so i will propose my idea and experience.

    I think that zimbra need to have a better localization support, and the better is surely adopt a structure like
    NEXT or OSX or GNUSTEP.

    Shortly, the actual structure is something like:

    webapps/zimbra/js/ajax/config/msg/AjxMsg_en.js
    (coded in utf8)

    my idea is to modify a bit the structure like this:

    webapps/zimbra/js/ajax/config/msg/en_US.lproj/AjxMsg.strings
    (coded in utf16 for complete support to exotic languages like japanese or korean)

    so the localized languages will be:
    webapps/zimbra/js/ajax/config/msg/it_IT.lproj/AjxMsg.strings
    webapps/zimbra/js/ajax/config/msg/es_ES.lproj/AjxMsg.strings
    webapps/zimbra/js/ajax/config/msg/es_MX.lproj/AjxMsg.strings
    webapps/zimbra/js/ajax/config/msg/fr_FR.lproj/AjxMsg.strings
    webapps/zimbra/js/ajax/config/msg/fr_CA.lproj/AjxMsg.strings
    webapps/zimbra/js/ajax/config/msg/jp_JP.lproj/AjxMsg.strings

    Why the folder <iso_code>.lproj?
    because is possible that in future exist more objects to translate, for example a picture icon with (STOP) on it.

    Why .strings instead .js?
    Because is better to separate the localization from the code in order to reduce the localizability bugs.

    I worked 5 years for Apple computer, in the localization department, so i think that my experience can be useful for this project.

    what do you think about it?

    best,
    MaX

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Max, Thanks for your note. We've done a bit of thinking about how to better solve the localization issue as well. Our current plan (and the reason I've been warning folks that a change is coming) is to use Java property files as the base resource for the strings. We chose this path since it has worked well for java folks for over a decade and most programmers/localizers these days are familiar with them. We get sparse overrides for free and have a simple servlet that generates the .js files automatically. Didn't involve any changes to our .js code and was quite simple to implement if you already knew java property files. I know this doesn't address all your concerns and recommendations but we can revisit this if localizers really have trouble. Early this week I'll post the current property files so you can take a look. We'd appreciate your input and comments.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Max, Thanks for your note. We've done a bit of thinking about how to better solve the localization issue as well. Our current plan (and the reason I've been warning folks that a change is coming) is to use Java property files as the base resource for the strings. We chose this path since it has worked well for java folks for over a decade and most programmers/localizers these days are familiar with them. We get sparse overrides for free and have a simple servlet that generates the .js files automatically. Didn't involve any changes to our .js code and was quite simple to implement if you already knew java property files. I know this doesn't address all your concerns and recommendations but we can revisit this if localizers really have trouble. Early this week I'll post the current property files so you can take a look. We'd appreciate your input and comments.

    OK, no problems.
    I'm waiting for next release, for the moment i'm trying to have a italian/spanish environment working and best localized.

    best,
    MaX

Similar Threads

  1. Spell in spanish
    By renzochavez77 in forum Administrators
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 08:02 AM
  2. Spanish translation (4.0.3)
    By inigoml in forum I18N/L10N - Translations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2006, 07:11 PM
  3. Spanish translation
    By kharmander in forum I18N/L10N - Translations
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-10-2006, 10:46 AM
  4. Spanish Translation Status
    By andyc in forum I18N/L10N - Translations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2006, 08:06 PM
  5. ZCS 3.0 Milestone 2 Language Files
    By KevinH in forum I18N/L10N - Translations
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 11:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •