Thread: Right to Left UI support?

Hybrid View

Default Right to Left UI support?

Hello,

I was wondering is there support for displaying the UI in a Right To Left format ?

I'm interested in translating Zimbra to Hebrew and I admit I haven't looked into the source code.

So basically my question is this, does Zimbra have a UI mechanism that allows the UI to be displayed RTL.
    If so great I will look into the translation task if not, is it on the future features list or shall I give up on this idea ?

Thank you in advance and sincerely yours,

Oranso.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I believe that right-left languages are something we'd like to do but nothing much so far. Have a look at this thread, specifically the request from dkarp to translate one of the file so we could check where it 'break' zimbra. If you could follow-up on that request it would be great.

You'd need to sign a contributor agreement and there's details in the wiki article here.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I followed the link you posted and read the posts.

I've taken a look at the string table files and I don't see any problem translating them.

I think the issue is not the Hebrew text but the placements of the frames/divs on the page.

The test that should be made is editing the CSS of the primary layout and adding the attribute "direction: rtl" and see what happens and what breaks.

Regarding the different features of Zimbra:
    - Using a Hebrew calendar is not a big issue since most (if not all) people using a computer are using a Gregorian calendar any way.
    - Numbers and measures are standard Latin numbers and measures use the metric system.
    - Time format preferred to be in a 24H format and not in 12H AM/PM
    - Currency I don't know much about the mechanism that uses this type of data so can't comment on that. But if you can add a Chines Yen you can add Shekels

As I see it the only big issue is the actual UI layout (Menus, feature frames, tables, etc.)
    All else can work as is.

Who knows, maybe its just a matter of editing the CSS with "direction:rtl" and it would be ok

Crossing fingers

Best regards,

Oranso.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Don't forget to send the Contribution Agreement in to Zimbra. Good luck with the translation.

I'll also move this to the Translation forum and if you have any problems/questions then feel free to contact GregA.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thx Bill,

but I will be waiting for a reply on my query regarding right to left support.
    With out it the Hebrew translation will be a waste of time.

Regards,

Oranso.