Thread: Checking Translations

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Checking Translations

I am adding the contributed translations to the distribution so you will finally be able to get the user contributed translations for the product when you download future releases. (So far we have german, dutch, finnish, french, russian, and soon japanese.)

To help me, I've added a tool to the source code that does a simple comparison between properties files. I use this to check the translated message files that have been contributed. The tool then tells me if there are missing or obsolete translations.

I have run the tool and posted the results to the various threads in this forum which contain the donated message files. For each file donated, the tool lists the following information:

missing = property defined in source but not target
    duplicate = property defined in target but value is same as source
    obsolete = property defined in target but not source

However, just because a property is listed as "missing" does not mean that it needs to be translated. If the English translation of the property works in the target language, then there doesn't need to be a translation in the translated message file. The tool will still list it as "missing" but that may be OK. You should review the results to see if you need a translation.

If a property is listed as "duplicate", that means that the translated property is identical to the one defined in the English message file. This is usually because the target file was copied from the source and not all of the entries have been translated, yet.

Lastly, if a property is listed as "obsolete", that means that there is a translation but the property no longer exists in the English message file. Therefore it can be safely removed.

It should be noted that these tests were run against the current codebase in CVS and many of the donated translations were done of previous releases or snapshots. So don't be surprised if there are more missing or obsolete properties for your translations than you think.

I'm using bug 6215 to track the translated messages being added to the source code. If you want to follow the progress, add your email address to the CC list in the bug.

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6215

What is the best way to post updated translation files?
    In bugzilla? http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6215

Also is there some place where we can track new translation strings for upcomming releases?

You can post them here and we'll approve. If you want to track day to day changes in the message files you can use CVS. That is usually no more than an hour or two behind.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

nccmortgage_zaduck Guest

Default Japanese

I haven't installed this beautiful software yet but will do soon. Just wanted to confirm whether Japanese language pack was incorporated into v3.0/v3.1 or not. I didn't see separate downloads for language in the Open Source version.

Also, if there are any help that is required to localize this package, do let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    I am adding the contributed translations to the distribution so you will finally be able to get the user contributed translations for the product when you download future releases. (So far we have german, dutch, finnish, french, russian, and soon japanese.)

To help me, I've added a tool to the source code that does a simple comparison between properties files. I use this to check the translated message files that have been contributed. The tool then tells me if there are missing or obsolete translations.

I have run the tool and posted the results to the various threads in this forum which contain the donated message files. For each file donated, the tool lists the following information:

missing = property defined in source but not target
    duplicate = property defined in target but value is same as source
    obsolete = property defined in target but not source

However, just because a property is listed as "missing" does not mean that it needs to be translated. If the English translation of the property works in the target language, then there doesn't need to be a translation in the translated message file. The tool will still list it as "missing" but that may be OK. You should review the results to see if you need a translation.

If a property is listed as "duplicate", that means that the translated property is identical to the one defined in the English message file. This is usually because the target file was copied from the source and not all of the entries have been translated, yet.

Lastly, if a property is listed as "obsolete", that means that there is a translation but the property no longer exists in the English message file. Therefore it can be safely removed.

It should be noted that these tests were run against the current codebase in CVS and many of the donated translations were done of previous releases or snapshots. So don't be surprised if there are more missing or obsolete properties for your translations than you think.

Where could i download the tool that does a simple comparison between properties files.

Tank you.

The original post from andyc is http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showpos...43&postcount=4
    But I cannot find "i18n-check"
    I did find find the file ComparePropsTask.java in the svn repository, but I don't know if it is build.
    Last edited by StefanD; 08-21-2006 at 03:44 AM.

Lightbulb PHP script for checking translation

I have created a tool in php that can check the translated files.
    The output is the same like the tool from andyc, but now you can check it yourself.

Installation:
    • Download the attached i18n-check.php.zip file and unzip.
    • copy i18n-check.php to /opt/zimbra/httpd/htdocs/
    • Point your webbrowser to http://SERVER:7780/i18n-check.php

The script will find all translated files that are in the default msgs path.

Regards,
    Stefan
    Attached Files Attached Files