Thread: Becoming maintaner for Finnish translation

Default Becoming maintaner for Finnish translation

Hi all!

We are creating a new Finnish translation that is available from Zimbra X-tras. As it seems to be unmaintained, I'd like to become the maintainer for that Finnish translation.

A couple of questions come to mind, though:

- Why is the "Contribution Agreement" required?
    - Which license is used for the translations? GPL?
    - Is Zimbra X-tras still used for contributing translations? It's SVN repository has been very quiet recently.

Personally I dislike the "Contribution agreement". It's basically like saying "Feel free to work for us for free and we'll take away your (copy)rights to your own work". I wouldn't be surprised if it's holding back lots of potential contributors, who don't want to hand over the copyright to their work for no good reason. Or is there a good reason for it? Nevertheless, as long the community translations are released under GPL then the agreement is bearable.

Best regards,

Samuli

I started the translation work for Zimbra 5.0.8 a couple of weeks ago and I've done quite much work on it. I do the translation work with poedit and I have also made some scripts to convert between the properties-files and PO-format.

If you want I can share what I have done so far so that we don't have to do so much redundant work.

Regards,
    Mika

Hi, Mika!

I've translated most of the Zimbra 5.0.8 already and the rough translation will be ready this week. I can send it to you for testing then, if you like.

The distribution issue is a more difficult issue... I have no trouble hosting the translation myself and hence avoiding the contribution agreement. On the other hand, I'd like to have the finished translation in a logical and visible place (=Zimbra X-tras). We'll see how it goes...

I've translated Zimbra using OmegaT, because it reads and outputs *.properties files natively. The standard, human-readable translation database file (TMX) it creates is a big plus, too. If you translate Java programs you should definitely take a look at it.

Ok, the raw translation is now ready. There's something wrong with it, though, because only the "basic client" file seems to get activated. I'll try to fix the issue today.

Hi!

I'm interested to helping out with finnish translation. Testing etc..

Is the translation already available somewhere?

--
    toopu

The language installation problem is fixed. The I18nMsg_fi.properties was missing, which caused strange behavior. The current one is simply a copy of the default English.

I've attached the translation here so please test it. Please report the bugs and suggestions to this thread, but before you do, some known bugs:

- One-character strings, such as M(onday), T(uesday) have not been translated properly. This is caused by lack of one-to-many matching the translation memory tool (OmegaT) which I used. These have to be fixed once the translation is otherwise finished.
    - Admin interface is not fully translated yet, but I'm working on it.
    - I18nMsg_fi.properties is not yet translated, but I'm working on it (too).

As this is just a raw translation, there are lots of strings that are not correct (in their context). When reporting translation errors, please include the entire string and the exact place where it can be found from. This makes it much easier to fix the errors.

Samuli
    Attached Files Attached Files

Great thanks!

Any plans to start using SVN?

--
    topias

I would love to use the SVN, but there are some problems with it:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/i18n-l1...ra-x-tras.html

I'll post the new versions here until these issues are somehow solved.

Samuli

Here's the new version of the translation. Most of easily visible stupidities have been fixed, but please let me know of any mistranslations / bad finnish that you might encounter.
    Attached Files Attached Files