Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OS X - copy already open

ostermmg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by y@w View Post
    Oh, I see what's happening here.. As the admin user run the ps aux command listed above. That should tell you the path that Zimbra Desktop is installed from. Hmm.. I'm guessing your user is also not going to have permission to access the location that Zimbra Desktop is installed to. Is it possible to make your user an admin, install Zimbra Desktop, and then make the user not an admin anymore? You have already mentioned you do have admin access to the machine..
    Possible, but not desirable. It would be nice if it would work OOTB, which is more a larger issue for Zimbra to address rather than this particular thread.

I did try recursively chown'ing the install dir already:

bash-3.2# chown -R ostermmg:ostermmg /Applications/Yahoo\!\ Zimbra\ Desktop.app

That did work either.

I suspect there is more than one install location?

Yes, a majority of it is stored in your home directory. Except in this case, your admin user's home directory. If you don't want to elevate your privileges you can try copying the "zimbra" directory from your admin's home directory. There's a localsettings.xml file in there you'll have to change a few lines in to make that work as well. You'll have to chown that too, of course.

OR just chown the directories in the admin directory and run Zimbra Desktop again. Your files will be in the wrong place, but you'll be able to launch the app...

I also agree that it's a larger problem.. but that's what beta users are for

ostermmg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by y@w View Post
    I also agree that it's a larger problem.. but that's what beta users are for
    A very fair point!

I can verify that this is still an issue even with the "official" release of Zimbra Desktop on the Mac. I have had to go to each of our 40 user machines, log out, log in as admin, make them an admin, log out, log in as that user, install the new version, log out, log in as admin, set them back to a standard user, log out, and log back in as the user. Whew!

And I have to repeat the whole process every time there's an update!

As you can tell, this is NOT an efficient process. I have reported it to Zimbra; they agree it is less than ideal, and suggested that they are working to improve the installer (hopefully for the next version).

We DESPERATELY need a way to push out updates as installer packages with Apple Remote Desktop or something similar.
    Last edited by HLCTech; 06-23-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Additional comment

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Has anyone looked in bugzilla for an outstanding bug report or filed one if isn't not already there?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.