Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OS X - copy already open

Default OS X - copy already open

I've just installed Zimbra Desktop on my Intel iMac. I work as a non-admin user. The installer wouldn't let me install a .plist so I had to abort and log in as an admin user.

The install went through to completion. Quit, and relogin as original user. Now Zimbra will not launch saying there is a copy of desktop already running. Reboot, and get the same result.

Any clues here as to what's not going right? I'm thinking the program will only run under the admin login.....and indeed that proves to be the case. Works fine logged in as the admin user, but that's not my typical working mode.

Todd
    Last edited by tlxreed; 05-27-2008 at 01:19 PM.

I would suggest opening up a terminal window and typing top and then find the ZD process look at the Process ID when you find the process ID push q and then type in kill ### (Process id Number) That should take care of it. If it is running in the background.

Eric J Lynner
    DataSync :: Integrated SugarCRM, Zimbra, KnowledgeTree, Joomla & Open Source Solutions
    Eric J Lynner
    Dynamic Business Solutions

“Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading your mind.”
    – Donald Knuth

Default zd process

Nothing of that name in activity monitor, viewing all process alphabetically by process name.

Can you take a screen of the Processes?
    Eric J Lynner

– Donald Knuth

Login as that admin user and see if there is a process under his account.
    Eric J Lynner

– Donald Knuth

You could try and Unistalling it by running the Setup again and then selecting unistall. I also found this link
    Zimbra Desktop - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Hope this helps
    Eric J Lynner

– Donald Knuth

ostermmg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tlxreed View Post
    I've just installed Zimbra Desktop on my Intel iMac. I work as a non-admin user. The installer wouldn't let me install a .plist so I had to abort and log in as an admin user.

The install went through to completion. Quit, and relogin as original user. Now Zimbra will not launch saying there is a copy of desktop already running. Reboot, and get the same result.

Any clues here as to what's not going right? I'm thinking the program will only run under the admin login.....and indeed that proves to be the case. Works fine logged in as the admin user, but that's not my typical working mode.

Todd
    I have the exact same thing happening on my non-admin profile on Beta 3.

Since the installer doesn't ask you for both an admin username and password like most Mac app installers, you have to completely switch over to the admin profile.

I've completely logged out the admin profile, and there are no zimbra, prism, etc. processes showing up anywhere.

Kind of a gaffe to force the user to run as an admin to get the Desktop to work.

You can see if Zimbra Desktop is running by running:
    Code:
    ps aux | grep zimbra
    You can stop it by running:
    Code:
    ~/zimbra/zdesktop/zdesktop stop
    Then when you launch Zimbra desktop it should start up.
    Last edited by y@w; 07-24-2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: typo in command

Oh, I see what's happening here.. As the admin user run the ps aux command listed above. That should tell you the path that Zimbra Desktop is installed from. Hmm.. I'm guessing your user is also not going to have permission to access the location that Zimbra Desktop is installed to. Is it possible to make your user an admin, install Zimbra Desktop, and then make the user not an admin anymore? You have already mentioned you do have admin access to the machine..

ostermmg Guest

No luck, even sudo'd into bash:

bash-3.2# ps auxw | grep zimbra