Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo! Mail Plus access must use IMAP

Hybrid View

Default Yahoo! Mail Plus access must use IMAP

I have a premium att-yahoo mail account. Just download newest zimbra desktop and when I try to add my att-yahoo account I get "Yahoo! Mail Plus access must use IMAP" in red at the top of the account mgr. Yahoo doesn't use imap, but pop3. What gives?

Frankielee

Welcome to the forums,

Actually there's Yahoo IMAP access, it's just restricted to allowed apps with special auth like Yahoo GO, iPhone(?), or Zimbra Desktop.

In the current publicly downloadable version it's hardcoded so you can't put @ymail.com or @rocketmail.com or @yahoo.tld - will add this ability in a future release. Bug 29308 - support other domain names for yahoo mail

What confuses people is that for a multitude of reasons the connection info given via help portals is just POP. ie: pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com -Traffic is supposed to be pointed at the designated servers & there's also business reasons for only providing pop (and only to paying customers) from server scaling (& maybe even a little desire for wanting people to use the web-client to see ads or something - idn).

The issue people hit:
    -You can't add as 'Yahoo Plus account' because your email ends in @someotherdomain but still Ymail powered content.
    -Then the naming constraint to prevent POP against any yahoo server. You can't add the account as type 'other' because it ends in pop.whatever.yahoo.com, which forces you to use IMAP.

And other commonly guessed tries:
    pop.sbcglobal.net > auth exception
    pop.mail.yahoo.com > forces imap because of yahoo.com
    imap.sbcglobal.net > auth exception
    imap.sbcglobal.yahoo.com > unknown host (because it doesn't exist)

Re ZDesktop forcing the use of IMAP because of the yahoo.com end of the server address - we intentinally restrict this.
    We don't use POP for Ymail or Gmail because that implementation will 'lockup' the entire mailbox for the entire POP session which can last a long time during initial sync and a few other reasons.

So, try creating an other account against-

Incoming:
    imap.mail.yahoo.com (without SSL - you get unrecognized SSL message message if you try encrypted connection (bug?)
    or plus.imap.mail.yahoo.com

Outgoing:
    smtp.whateverdomain.yahoo.com (with or without SSL)
    or smtp.mail.yahoo.com (with or without SSL)
    or plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com (with or without SSL)

(Tested against ZDesktop build 0.85.1191, build 0.85.1138 and the current release on website build 0.84.1119 using my personal sbcglobal.net account.)

Note: Official support for this configuration is Bug 27498 - offline - support for Yahoo business accounts

---

UPDATE: Bug 27498 - offline - support for Yahoo business accounts & Bug 29308 - support other domain names for yahoo mail are fixed for the next public release. And there's even access for non-Plus users
    Last edited by mmorse; 08-15-2008 at 08:11 PM.

Mike, I applied these settings and it worked great. But yesterday Zimbra started showing an error flag when I try to sync this account. I've tried restarting Zimbra and my pc. Twelve hours later I still have a error flag. How can I tell what the error is? Can you help? -frank

Can you attach some snips from your mailbox.log?
    For instance if you're using windows it's drive:\zimbra\zdesktop\log\ or for mac/linux ~/zimbra/zdesktop by default.

Unhappy More problems with AT&T Yahoo Premium

When I configure Zimbra to check my AT&T Yahoo Premium account I get "Yahoo! Mail Plus account required" error.

I got the same message whether I chose Yahoo! Mail Plus Account type or if I chose other POP/IMAP and configured manually(for imap, server imap.att.yahoo.com) I got the same error.

I just downloaded the latest Zimbra for Linux today and I am running Ubuntu 2008.04.

Any help/suggestions will be *greatly* appreciated

We are moving to Zimbra for our calendaring & email services and I would love to get a jump using it with my home email as well.

Thanks

-PaulK

Welcome to the fourms,

I don't have an ATT account to test, but an sbcglobal.net account; Other > IMAP (withouth SSL) > against imap.mail.yahoo.com works.

(For outgoing try smtp.att.yahoo.com (with or without SSL) or smtp.mail.yahoo.com if you must, but try the domain specific on the outgoing first.)

I'm unable to use my AT&T account. The pop.att.yahoo.com returns "Yahoo! Mail Plus access must use IMAP" If I change it to imap.yahoo.com, that results in "imap.yahoo.com" in red.
    Any advice?

Welcome to the forums,

Try imap.mail.yahoo.com

Both Bug 27498 - offline - support for Yahoo business accounts & Bug 29308 - support other domain names for yahoo mail are fixed for the next public release - out soon - with access for non-Plus users as well!

Default Where can I alter the smtp and other options?

I setup ZD to check my Yahoo Small Business account, and it works. Good Job. However, my "composed" mail sits in the outbox without being sent.

I was not asked about smtp settings when I set up the account and am wondering where I can find those settings...

Thanks in advance.

Default Muddling through

Earlier I deleted the account from Zimbra and started over. The errors happen after I create a mail filter, moving mail containing "blah blah" in the from field to another folder I have created called "Nabble". Then when the account tries to sync errors occur and deleted the mail filter does not correct the problem. I looked at the error in the log, and saw it was trying to create the new folder on the remote server, which it does have rights to. Completely deleting the folder clears the errors. Is there a way to create local folders that don't exist on the remote server?

Peace, frank.

From the log file:
    2008-06-24 20:00:56,609 INFO [sync-timer-frank.bennett@att.net] [] datasource - Importing data.
    2008-06-24 20:00:57,687 DEBUG [sync-timer-frank.bennett@att.net] [] offline - getImapFolders: id = 2eaac2c9-efce-4dfa-b0cc-f7ffe5b8ea58
    2008-06-24 20:01:01,359 INFO [sync-timer-frank.bennett@att.net] [] datasource - Found new local folder /Inbox/Nabble. Creating remote folder Inbox/Nabble.
    2008-06-24 20:01:03,656 ERROR [sync-timer-frank.bennett@att.net] [] offline - sync failure: att
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: A21 NO STATUS failed. Can't get STATUS of mailbox Inbox/Nabble: no such mailbox
    ExceptionId:sync-timer-frank.bennett@att.net:1214362863140:4e6588f987c58b 3f
    Code:service.FAILURE
    at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.FAILURE (ServiceException.java:253)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.ImapImport.importData(Ima pImport.java:411)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.DataSourceManager.importD ata(DataSourceManager.java:152)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.LocalMailbox.syncAllLocalDat aSources(LocalMailbox.java:255)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.LocalMailbox.sync(LocalMailb ox.java:293)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.LocalMailbox.syncOnTimer(Loc alMailbox.java:235)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DesktopMailbox$1.run(Desktop Mailbox.java:113)
    at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: A21 NO STATUS failed. Can't get STATUS of mailbox Inbox/Nabble: no such mailbox;
    nested exception is:
    com.sun.mail.iap.CommandFailedException: A21 NO STATUS failed. Can't get STATUS of mailbox Inbox/Nabble: no such mailbox
    at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPFolder.getUIDValidity(IMAPFo lder.java:1730)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.ImapImport.importData(Ima pImport.java:371)
    ... 7 more
    Caused by: com.sun.mail.iap.CommandFailedException: A21 NO STATUS failed. Can't get STATUS of mailbox Inbox/Nabble: no such mailbox
    at com.sun.mail.iap.Protocol.handleResult(Protocol.ja va:328)
    at com.sun.mail.imap.protocol.IMAPProtocol.status(IMA PProtocol.java:727)
    at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPFolder.getUIDValidity(IMAPFo lder.java:1722)
    ... 8 more
    2008-06-24 20:01:22,109 ERROR [btpool0-91] [name=frank.bennett@att.net;aname=local@host.local; ip=127.0.0.1;ua=ZimbraWebClient - [unknown] (Win)/dev build;] misc - Resource bundle "L10nMsg" not found (locale=en_US)
    java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name L10nMsg, locale en_US
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceExcep tion(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(Unknown Source)
    at com.zimbra.common.util.L10nUtil.getMessage(L10nUti l.java:244)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.account.ToXML.encodeLocale(T oXML.java:232)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.account.GetAvailableLocales. handle(GetAvailableLocales.java:62)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:391)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:241)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:156)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:266)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:727)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:186)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:820)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(Ser vletHolder.java:487)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(Se rvletHandler.java:362)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle( SecurityHandler.java:216)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(Se ssionHandler.java:181)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(Co ntextHandler.java:716)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebA ppContext.java:406)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection .handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:211)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle (HandlerCollection.java:114)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:139)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(Re writeHandler.java:176)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:313)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(Htt pConnection.java:506)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.co ntent(HttpConnection.java:844)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser. java:644)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpPa rser.java:211)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnec tion.java:381)
    at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(Selec tChannelEndPoint.java:396)
    at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.ru n(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)
    2008-06-24 20:01:22,109 ERROR [btpool0-91] [name=frank.bennett@att.net;aname=local@host.local; ip=127.0.0.1;ua=ZimbraWebClient - [unknown] (Win)/dev build;] misc - Resource bundle "L10nMsg" not found (locale=en_US)
    java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name L10nMsg, locale en_US
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceExcep tion(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(Unknown Source)
    at com.zimbra.common.util.L10nUtil.getMessage(L10nUti l.java:244)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.account.ToXML.encodeLocale(T oXML.java:232)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.account.GetAvailableLocales. handle(GetAvailableLocales.java:62)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:391)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:241)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:156)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:266)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:727)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:186)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:820)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(Ser vletHolder.java:487)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(Se rvletHandler.java:362)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle( SecurityHandler.java:216)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(Se ssionHandler.java:181)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(Co ntextHandler.java:716)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebA ppContext.java:406)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection .handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:211)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle (HandlerCollection.java:114)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(Re writeHandler.java:176)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:313)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(Htt pConnection.java:506)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.co ntent(HttpConnection.java:844)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser. java:644)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpPa rser.java:211)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnec tion.java:381)
    at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(Selec tChannelEndPoint.java:396)
    at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.ru n(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)