Thread: No PPC support????

Default No PPC support????

Why is there no PPC version or universal binary available so the people who still have PPC Macs can also use this program?
    There are still a LOT of Mac users who have PPC based and who are left out with this program as it is at the moment.

Welcome to the forums.

PowerPC based machines haven't been in production for years at this point. There are options in the community branch to compile your own and older binaries are still available.

There's some community Mac OS X 10.4 PPC builds here: https://sourceforge.net/project/show...kage_id=273119
    (That's not the only site to find community releases, but dijichi2 does a lot with Ubuntu & Solaris as well there.)

To compile your own: Building Zimbra using Perforce - Zimbra :: Wiki & Franklin README - Zimbra :: Wiki

Network Editions - Officially tested & technical support by Zimbra.
    Open Source Editions - Built by Zimbra - forum help only.
    Community Editions - Built by members of this excellent community!

Quote Originally Posted by gmsmith View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

PowerPC based machines haven't been in production for years at this point. There are options in the community branch to compile your own and older binaries are still available.
    Well, in fact, the last PPC models were discontinued in 2006, so not THAT long ago! It is more than strange that I could run it on, let's say, a quad P3 system, but not on a quad G4, which is much more recent. The whole idea of Java is it's platform-independancy, and this program goes against this idea.
    Last edited by angelus1969; 07-25-2008 at 10:45 AM.

Unhappy Incompetence, duh..

Not supporting PPC really is pretty shameful. Not only were the product lines discontinued only a few years ago, but one could buy fully warrantied refurbs more recently than that.

Moreover, my favorite travel laptop is still the high-res 15" PowerBook G4, since, though slightly thicker and heavier, it provides more screen real estate for all the other dimensions. My continuing frustration with Apple is their reticence to put more pixels in their laptop screens, and 1440x960 was the first acceptable compromise.

I'd gladly spend the money to upgrade to a 15" MBP with at least that resolution, but, since I'm not willing to give up 60 rows of real estate, I'll be maintaining my freak antique as long as parts are available.

The irony that developers of "collaboration" software would choose a route of incompatibility is not lost on me.