Thread: Cannot start Zimbra - no shortcut to path

Default Cannot start Zimbra - no shortcut to path

I installed Zimbra on Windows 7 and allowed it to install to its default path. I noticed the path was not the usual "C:\Program Files\..." but something along the lines of "c:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Zimbra..." which I thought odd but I let it go.

I also said no to "Create shortcut on Desktop" since I never allow programs to create desktop shortcuts, I manage everything through the start menu.

However, upon installation there is no shortcut in the Start Menu either - it appears it didn't put one there (just because I said no to desktop shortcut?) and now I can't figure out how to start the program.

I have looked at the above path "c:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Zimbra..." but I can't find anything obvious.

This is very strange behavior for a program install routine - hide the program in an unusual place, which moreover is a HIDDEN directory, provide no shortcuts ot it, and to top it off, make the program start in an unusual way (no .exe file).

Very frustrated with this.

I feel your frustration. try installing it as an administrator in an environment where end users do not get admin rights to their pc (office, school etc). The zimbra desktop then becomes un usable until i provided them admin rights on a test computer.

The program you need to launch is:
    C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Zimbra\zdesktop\win3 2\prism\zdclient.exe

It installs into that folder due to there being a lot of files it needs to write to, and programs do not have access (nor should they!) to write to directories in the Program Files directory.

Although technically the executable parts should be stored in program files with the data stored in a user writable folder, but oh well.

for a desktop email client, that they push to corporate environments, they could have thought about it more. Still version 2 should fix this problem and i think the beta will be available in feb 2010

I alos feel your frustration,You should be an administrator to uninstall and then re-select the Custom installation path.