Thread: ZD 2.0 Beta 4 Linux - Potential Installation Script Issue

Default ZD 2.0 Beta 4 Linux - Potential Installation Script Issue

In the past, I was able to install the ZD backend, and the user account in my /home directory. For Beta 4, this option does not seem to be available because the installer requires the user space to not be a parent directory of the backend. Even if my

So I installed ZD client to opt/zimbra/zdesktop as root, and installed the user account (as a normal user) in my /home directory.

When I execute ZD, the ZD screen displays with the spinning circle, but never gets past that.

I have restarted Fedora 13, and still no dice.

I tried installing to /opt/zimbra/zdesktop as a normal user, but the same problem occurs.

Using the shortcut string, and executing it from the command line, I get the following output:

[jmorgan@dhcp-1-169 ~]$ "/home/jmorgan/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/prism/zdclient" -webapp "/home/jmorgan/zdesktop/zdesktop.webapp" -override "/home/jmorgan/zdesktop/zdesktop.webapp/override.ini" -profile "/home/jmorgan/zdesktop/profile"
    *** UpdateService: canUpdate? testing /home/jmorgan/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/prism/update.test
    *** UpdateService: canUpdate? testing /home/jmorgan/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/prism/updates/0/update.test
    *** UpdateService: can update
    *** General: Reading Status File: /home/jmorgan/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/prism/updates/0/update.status
    *** UpdateService: _postUpdateProcessing: No Status, No Update
    *** UpdateManager: _loadXMLFileIntoArray: XML File does not exist
    JETTY_HOME = /home/jmorgan/zimbra/zdesktop/jetty
    JETTY_RUN = /home/jmorgan/zdesktop/log
    JETTY_PID = /home/jmorgan/zdesktop/log/zdesktop.pid
    JETTY_CONSOLE = /home/jmorgan/zdesktop/log/zdesktop.out
    JETTY_ARGS =
    CONFIGS = /home/jmorgan/zdesktop/jetty/etc/jetty.xml
    JAVA_OPTIONS = -client -d32 -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms32m -Xmx100m -Xss150k -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=20 -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=40 -XX:NewRatio=4 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=70 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -DSTART='/home/jmorgan/zimbra/zdesktop/jetty/etc/start.config' -Dzimbra.home='/home/jmorgan/zdesktop' -Dzimbra.config='/home/jmorgan/zdesktop/conf/localconfig.xml' -Djava.library.path='/home/jmorgan/zimbra/zdesktop/jetty/../lib' -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.io.tmpdir='/home/jmorgan/zdesktop/data/tmp/java' -Djava.net.useSystemProxies=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=10 -Djetty.home='/home/jmorgan/zimbra/zdesktop/jetty'
    JAVA = /home/jmorgan/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/jre/bin/java
    Starting Jetty:
    nohup: redirecting stderr to stdout
    Jetty running pid=4127

^^ this is where it stops

I still had a tarball of Beta2, so I chmod 777 the install.pl script, and began installation as a normal user. I attempted to install to the default /opt directory. The script displayed a permissions error.

------------------------------
    Choose the folder where you would like to install Zimbra Desktop's application files [/opt/zimbra/zdesktop]:

Installing application files...mkdir: cannot create directory `/opt/zimbra': Permission denied
    ------------------------------

The Beta4 script *DID NOT* display an error when attempting to install as a normal user.

I think there might be a bug in the Beta4 install script? When I installed Beta2 to /opt as root, the program correctly started.

Can you follow the instruction below and do a fresh installation? If it still doesn't work, please zip and attach zdesktop.log here.

But before doing that, make sure you backup everything under "/home/jmorgan/zdesktop"

Zimbra Desktop 2 FAQ - Zimbra :: Wiki

I've attached the file.

The ZD client can not be terminated through the Fedora 13 GNOME GUI now. I will attach the log file and delete /opt/zimbra and reinstall Beta 2 so I have a working mail client today.

Looking forward to your reply.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post struck

Just raising my point here. I am struck the same way installing zdesktop 2.0 beta on my ubuntu linux. running install script as normal user ends up with no permission to proceed. Obviously.

But proceeding as root completes installation, and while trying to start zd just pops up and circles around and ends up like this.

JAVA = /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/jre/bin/java
    Starting Jetty:
    Jetty running pid=2745
    nohup: redirecting stderr to stdout

Between I tried installing to root as well as for a normal user but both of 'em gives the same result. The log dir /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/data/log/ is empty, wonder why no logging is happening. Perhaps my logging is disabled, not sure. have to look into that.

does this help?

Zimbra Desktop 2 FAQ - Zimbra :: Wiki

"On Linux, the default install location /opt/zimbra/zdesktop often requires root permission. If that is the case, please run Linux installer as root. Answer "No" when is asked to "continue to install data files for user: root". Login as regular user to complete the second part of the installation. "

Wink Yeehaa! happy like a hippo..

Thanks buddy. All these time I was starting the installation as a normal user with 'sudo' and then continuing installation in just one step, for the normal user. That was the problem like jmhe pointed out.

Its perfect now .. this time I started by switching to root and completed the first step of installing system files for zdesktop in /opt/zimbra/zdesktop and by saying 'No' to root install. And then like it said, I switched to normal user and ran '/opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/user-install.pl' to complete user installation for normal user. That was directed to /home/fyd/zdesktop.

There was a bit of circling like before when ZD came up .. which actually got me hopeless for a while but then woooooosh .. the candy red came up! Brilliant work guys, falling for zimbra again and again. Thanks jmhe I owe you a hug. A bear hug! Wishing you the best.