Thread: Scalability

Hybrid View

Default Scalability

My apologies if this has been answered already - it seems like a question that would have been, but searching for "scalability" doesn't return what I'm looking for.

Basically I'm looking to install the Community Edition of M2 on an Opteron 2Ghz box with a gig of RAM. What is the number of users that I can be expected to scale to? I'm looking at a client who might want 650 users and I'm wondering if it would hold up for that much.

Thanks! Great product!

Matthew Yette

yetdog, your question is a real tough one to answer. It really depends on the characteristics of the users. For example, whats the avg message size/user, how large are the mailboxes, how many msgs/day do each users send/receive, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sam
    yetdog, your question is a real tough one to answer. It really depends on the characteristics of the users. For example, whats the avg message size/user, how large are the mailboxes, how many msgs/day do each users send/receive, etc.
    All good questions, but ones I don't really have straight answers to.

Do you have any kind of baseline performance statement, something like, on a box of X strength, with users averaging Z msgs/day and N-sized mailboxes, you can expect to be able to support Y users?

Nothing [that I am aware of] today, but there is a performance team actively working on it.

Our general reccomendation has been to over spec hardware while we are still in beta. So go a little bigger while we work on optimizing perf. Your box assuming light/avg mail traffic should be ok. We always like to run on dual machines with more RAM but if that's the hardware you've got then so be it. Another factor Sam diddn't mention is usage profile. Are all 650 users active all day? Are they in different locations where the usage peaks will be smoothed out. Do your users plan to use IMAP, POP, or the webclient? IMAP clients put a little more load on the system in general since changes are always written back to the server.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.