Thread: Two linux boxes on Lan, one with Zimra, but having Port Issues

Hybrid View

Default Two linux boxes on Lan, one with Zimra, but having Port Issues

I have my primary linux box, on my office LAN. I have my domain, fyrenice.com pointed at my linux box, port forwarded so I can remotely access it from home, etc.

I have installed Zimbra on another linux box on this same LAN...the installation goes fine, except when it probes available ports. At that point it fails for all ports, as those ports are currently either not forwarded or are forwarded to my primary linux box.

I receive all my office email on my primary box here, and do all work from this machine. I had hoped to set up and fiddle with Zimbra on this other box, to make sure it's working and then to migrate my email, web and such over to it.

How should I proceed, without causing downtime in the interim between forwarding all required ports to the zimbra box, and being up and running?

What's the error?

It should be looking at the ports via localhost, so if something is bound to port 25, then it's running on that box.

The only one you need external access to, is 25.

Do you have DMZ set up to forward all ports to the other machine? Depending on how it's set up, you will need to make a rule exception for 25.

Now, if you want LDAP interoperability, then port 389 will need to be accessible.

110 POP3

and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    What's the error?

Error, seen during installation about ports? I didn't copy it down, but it read something like Port Unavailable, or something similar. I can rerun the routine, or I guess grab the errors from the logs generated during installation and setup.

It should be looking at the ports via localhost, so if something is bound to port 25, then it's running on that box.

Let me know which logs I need to pull data from..I see in /opt/zimbra/log/startup.log that the host shows this:

Host fyrenice.com
    Starting ldap...Done.
    Starting logger...Done.
    Starting mailbox...Done.
    Starting antispam...Done.
    Starting antivirus...Done.
    Starting snmp...Done.
    Starting spell...Done.
    Starting mta...Done.

The only one you need external access to, is 25.

Do you have DMZ set up to forward all ports to the other machine? Depending on how it's set up, you will need to make a rule exception for 25.

I need to check my DMZ settings on my router (linksys rt31p2).

Now, if you want LDAP interoperability, then port 389 will need to be accessible.

110 POP3

and so on.
    Does any of this help?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sanchiro View Post
    Does any of this help?
    If you already have a mail server on your LAN you'll need a split domain setup if you want to migrate to zimbra after testing it.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    If you already have a mail server on your LAN you'll need a split domain setup if you want to migrate to zimbra after testing it.
    Fair enough, the wiki entry is hepful.

I opened my router admin page and routed several of the required ports with forwarding to my zimbra machine's IP address. Then I reran ./install.sh as root on that machine.

It proceeded without incident until this point:

Setting defaults from existing config...Checking for port conflicts
    Port conflict detected: 993 (zimbra-store)
    Port conflict detected: 389 (zimbra-ldap)
    Port conflict detected: 389 (zimbra-ldap)
    Port conflict detected: 110 (zimbra-store)
    Port conflict detected: 143 (zimbra-store)
    Port conflict detected: 25 (zimbra-mta)
    Port conflict detected: 80 (zimbra-store)
    Port conflicts detected! - Any key to continue
    Starting ldap...Done

I don't have all ports forwarded, but had hoped that by forwarding 993, 389, and 707x .. as mentioned on the wiki entry, it would show success on those when checking, but all appear to have failed, despite being forwarded to the correct machine.

What might I be missing with this? Certainly I'd need 25, 80, 110, 143 also forwarded to be complete, but I have to maintain my system in the meantime.

Do I have to rerun the entire ./install.sh routine every time or can I have zimbra just check the port status without running all the rest of it?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You don't actually need any ports to be forwarded to your machine to get Zimbra to install. If you are getting port conflicts then you have other services running on that machine that are using the ports.Check what's installed and running on your system and kill anything like mail servers, ldap servers or any stray zimbra processes that are running and run the install again by doing a './install.sh -u' to remove the current install and then install again. You should also have a correct /etc/hosts file and DNS A & MX records pointing to your zimbra server - are they all OK?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.