Thread: How to manually change version number

Default How to manually change version number

I have a Debian 4.0.1 server that I have tried previously tried upgrading (long long ago) to 4.0.2, 4.0.3, 4.0.4 but the upgrades always failed, so I've had to roll back. I guess I didn't roll back exactly right because I have version conflicts. The admin console says I'm at version 4.0.1 but zmcontrol -v says I'm at 4.0.4.

I am at the point where I must upgrade this box. Actually, what I want to do it move all domains/users to new NE servers that we have purchased. But we are running them with Dapper and there is not dapper version of 4.0.1 to do the migration as suggested in the wiki. So I want to try to get the existing server to 4.5 on debian then move the zimbra dir to the new servers. so I'm going to attempt to upgrade to 4.5 but i want the upgrade to think it's going from 4.0.1 and not 4.0.4 because I recall an error about missing columns in the MySQL. I think the upgrade was not able to alter the mysql correctly but it thinks there should be a column there.

So bottom line, how do I force the server to think it's 4.0.1 again?

Thanks

I hope you find this link useful in your case.

hope this helps.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Hmm, what stage does the installer get to?

If you want to fool the actuall zimbra setup script, you could try this (might not work, might do):

Edit /opt/zimbra/.install_history
    Look for the *last* instance of package installs/upgrades, lines that look like this:
    1181263988: UPGRADED zimbra-core_4.5.5_GA_838.DEBIAN3.1_i386.deb
    1181263988: UPGRADED zimbra-ldap_4.5.5_GA_838.DEBIAN3.1_i386.deb

In your case this will be 4.0.4 or something, possibly. You can either change these entries to whatever you want it to be, like 4.0.1, or delete these entries toward the beginning of the file until you get to the version you want to ugprade form, ie 4.0.1. If you upgrade fails for other reason, or this doesn't work, post back and we'll see if we can help you.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

The admin console says I'm at version 4.0.1 but zmcontrol -v says I'm at 4.0.4.
    zmcontrol looks at your OS package versions, so doing 'dpkg -l |grep zim' in debian will show your package database currently thinks you have 4.0.4 package s installed. If you manually hacked this to be wrong, for instance if an upgrade went wrong and you untarred a backup of 4.0.1 on top of 4.0.4 without downgrading the packages, you would see what you are seeing. If you want to upgrade cleanly while running the correct db upgrade scripts etc, don't worry about zmcontrol -v, you need to make sure that zmsetup.pl thinks that 4.0.1 is your current version. Trouble is, this is contained within the zimbra packages and run by the install.sh script directly after OS packages are installed so modifying it is difficult.

my install history shows going as far as 4.0.2 then back to 4.0.1. I did actually try to go up to 4.0.4 but when I couldn't get the interface or anything to work I backed it down. I'm not sure how I did (it was way long ago - probably october of 06) to get it back, maybe copied /opt/zimbra maybe just reinstalled over the same dir.

I am in the process of moving a snapshot to another server to test upgrading. I can't try upgrading this server any more because I almost had a heart attack last time trying to bring it back to life. I have about 90G of data so it's taking a while to move. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice.