Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking POP accounts within IMAP

Default Checking POP accounts within IMAP

I really LOVE the feature that allows me to add a POP account within my IMAP account, have it checked and dumped to a folder. This will be very helpful while I'm migrating certain users from one system to another.

One problem I'm finding is that I seem only to be able to get that account to check by manually telling it "Get POP Mail" from within the web client. If this is true, it's useless while using an external IMAP client like TBird because the POP mail won't download to the folder and the "Get Mail" command on TBird just synchronizes the folders.

Is there a way to configure the POP accounts within IMAP to auto-check every x minutes? If so where do I set it up? If not it'd be a nice feature to add.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

There's no facility in ZImbra, at present, to do a 'check every x minutes' for the pop download. There's an RFE in bugzilla and it's targetted for inclusion in Release 5, due mid-October. You could always use fetchmail to get it into your mailbox if you can't wait for the feature.
    Last edited by phoenix; 08-01-2007 at 12:09 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You could always use fetchmail to get it into your mailbox if you can't wait for the feature.
    OK, I'm listening, but I'm also a newbie. How would I use fetchmail to do this?

There is a thread about setting up fetchmail somewhere on the forum but I found the easiest thing to do was set-up webmin. There's a feature in the servers section of webmin for managing fetchmail, just point it to your external account and the Zimbra account you want the mail dumped in and set the schedule and voila! That should be it.
    Regards

Bill

Default Glad to know Webmin is an option

Thanks for this, Bill. I'll try it right away. I had avoided setting up Webmin because of the dire warnings I found somewhere in the documentation about Zimbra needing to be its own standalone server. Mix that with my trying previously on a box that already had Apache running--which failed spectacularly-- and you'll know why I was a little gunshy.

I'll give it a shot. . .I'd like to have the Webmin for SpamAssassin too anyhow.

Dan

Webmin won't affect Zimbra as it runs on it's own port at 10000. You shouldn't use webmin to manage spamassassin as the directories are in a different place than set-up in webmin, you also shouldn't need to do anything to spamassassin in Zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

That's good to know. I'll start a separate thread on SpamAssassin once I have a little time to see whether the stuff I have implemented from other threads is working (so far it doesn't look good). Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    There's a feature in the servers section of webmin for managing fetchmail, just point it to your external account and the Zimbra account you want the mail dumped in and set the schedule and voila! That should be it.
    OK, I set up Webmin and can access Fetchmail, but it looks to me like it wants local Linux users for the "Local User" setup. What syntax do I use to get it to dump mail to a Zimbra user?

Just give it the email address you want it sent to and it'll get delivered i.e. user@yourdomain.com
    Regards

Bill

Note that in the 5.0 release there should be a mechanism for automatically fetching a POP account every N minutes. (Bug 14527 - Periodic POP and IMAP aggregation and frequency and limit controls for same)
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!