Thread: Messages delivered but not visible in inbox

Default Messages delivered but not visible in inbox

I've setup Zimbra and migrated all of my users mail over to the new server. Everything seems fine except for one minor detail. I have a user that is not able to see new messages in his inbox. I have looked in the logs and I see that messages are delivered ok, but when I try viewing his inbox with the web client or with outlook nothing is there. The really weird part is that if I search for the message I will find it

Do I need to rebuild his mailbox or something like that? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-John

I am not able to help but i am having the exact same problem. Messages show that they are delivered but are not visible in the inbox. I can search them and find. Running beta2 on SLES10

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jchurchill View Post
    I've setup Zimbra and migrated all of my users mail over to the new server. Everything seems fine except for one minor detail. I have a user that is not able to see new messages in his inbox. I have looked in the logs and I see that messages are delivered ok, but when I try viewing his inbox with the web client or with outlook nothing is there. The really weird part is that if I search for the message I will find it

Do I need to rebuild his mailbox or something like that? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-John
    Welcome to the forums.

I assume you've install the latest, greatest release of Zimbra? Is it just this one mailbox that's not working? How did you migrate it? Have you tried reindexing the mailbox from the Admin UI? Are there any errors in the logs?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the welcome. I installed zcs-4.5.6_GA_1044 which I believe is the latest version. As far as I know only one user is affected. I haven't heard any complaints from anyone else. That might change if someone else notices that they're not receiving mail. I have a feeling that it's only this user.

Originally mail was stored on the local machine in a PST file. I used outlooks IMAP connector to transfer all of his local mail to the server. I have reindexed the users mailbox through the web admin interface with no luck.

The problem I'm having isn't with the mail I transferred it's with new messages. As of today the user is not showing any new mail, but I can see messages have been delivered to him in the logs. If I search for one of messages that I see in the log it will show up in the search results.

I'm seeing a few error messages in the logs, but from what I've read they are related to LDAP and aren't really a problem:
    Aug 1 11:30:25 mail slapd[17940]: <= bdb_equality_candidates: (zimbraCalResType) index_param failed (18)
    Aug 1 11:30:25 mail slapd[17940]: <= bdb_equality_candidates: (zimbraAccountStatus) index_param failed (18)
    Aug 1 11:30:25 mail slapd[17940]: <= bdb_equality_candidates: (zimbraAccountStatus) index_param failed (18)

I do see some broken pipe messages in /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log:
    java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutp utStream.java:92)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStre am.java:136)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.OutputRecord.writeBuf fer(OutputRecord.java:283)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.OutputRecord.write(Ou tputRecord.java:272)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.writeRe cord(SSLSocketImpl.java:666)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppOutputStream.write (AppOutputStream.java:59)
    at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedO utputStream.java:65)
    at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(BufferedOutputS tream.java:123)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.sendLine(ImapHandle r.java:2102)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.sendResponse(ImapHa ndler.java:2092)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.sendOK(ImapHandler. java:2077)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.doLOGOUT(ImapHandle r.java:715)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.executeRequest(Imap Handler.java:446)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.processCommand(Imap Handler.java:246)
    at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.processCon nection(ProtocolHandler.java:231)
    at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.run(Protoc olHandler.java:198)
    at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Wo rker.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Any other ideas or logs I should look at?
    Last edited by jchurchill; 08-01-2007 at 12:01 PM.

Ok, you can ignore the first log entries they are about an non-indexed field in LDAP. Those messages will disappear in a later release of Zimbra and they are just informational.

I assume from your earlier comments that this user can see all of their migrated email? Two causes for missing email spring to mind: first is the user downloading their email via a pop3 client and deleting it from the server; second is that they have a filter set that is removing all email (usually the filter is set incorrectly.

You can check by asking the user not to do anything with their account. Then go to the admin ui and look at their account and hit the 'view email' button, that will open their mailbox. Check to see if there are any filters set, if there are then disable them. When you've done that or if there's no filters you should send an email to that account and see if it turns up in the Inbox, hit the Get Mail button to make sure. If it doesn't turn up in the mailbox check the logs and see what's happened to the message and if it was delivered. That should give us some clues as to what's going on.
    Regards

Bill

The user is not logged into their mail account at all and I can see all of the migrated mail. None of the clients are configured to use POP3. They are all running IMAP. Currently I am only using Zimbra's web mail interface to check the users inbox. If I hit the get mail button nothing changes.

I also checked if the user had any filter's set and he doesn't.

I can see a message being delivered here (I cut out the users name):
    Aug 1 10:24:26 mail postfix/lmtp[23932]: A2C2F1274519: to=, relay=mail.ihtacoma.local[192.168.0.6],
    delay=0, status=sent (250 2.1.5 OK)

And then I can see it being added to the user's mail box:
    2007-08-01 10:24:26,852 INFO [LmtpServer-209] [name=user@domain.com;] mailbox - Added message id=8023 digest=EVLuXIej
    Ch1qh0DNPKx+xAmN8dk= mailbox=25 rcpt=user@domain.com

However, I'm still not seeing the message.

Ok I've resolved this issue. Thanks for your help.

-John

Can you post what you did to resolve the issue?

The user had a rule in outlook that was filing his mail in a folder other than his inbox. Apparently, he kept getting impatient and checking outlook to see if I had fixed his problem yet....

Quote Originally Posted by briansrapier View Post
    Can you post what you did to resolve the issue?
    Do you think you've got this 'problem'? One of the two reasons above is the cause of that type of problem.
    Regards

Bill