Thread: Multiple domains?

Default Multiple domains?

We have multiple domains, all like company.com/company.net/company.org etc. All of the users should get the mails for every domain, so an e-mail to user1@company.com should reach user1 but an e-mail to user1@company.net should also be delivered to user1.

Should this be done with a virtual host or do I have to do something else? In postfix this is normally done by changing mydestination in main.cf, but I don't think it is necessary to manually edit this file?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Set-up a second (third, fourth etc.) domain in Zimbra and add the alias for the domain you want to the users account.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

So that means that I will have to add four aliases for every user that I have? Why isn't this possible in a way it is with postfix?

Well the question becomes are you going to allow them to send from/appear as user1@domain.com & user1@example.net & any other alias addresses?

Individually - incoming & the user could select any of their choice on outgoing:

Incoming:
    If you have a domain domain.com and you want the domain example.net to be an alias for it, so that sending mail to user1@example.net is the same as sending mail to user1@domain.com (delivered to the same mailbox), you can designate example.net as a domain alias when creating the domain. This example assumes domain.com already exists, but example.net does not:
    zmprov cd example.net zimbraDomainType alias zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @example.net zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @domain.com
    If already created it might be like: (not sure this works as well-seems best to create the alias from the get go)
    zmprov md example.net zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @example.net zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @domain.com zimbraMailTransport lmtp:server.domain.com

Outgoing:
    If you want mail from user1@domain.com to appear to come from user1@example.net, you can set the canonical address for the entire domain.
    zmprov md domain.com zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @domain.com zimbraMailCatchAllCanonicalAddress @example.net

or yes as you we're asking:
    Postfix Address Rewriting
    Last edited by mmorse; 08-07-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    zmprov cd example.net zimbraDomainType alias zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @example.net zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @domain.com
    This was the solution as far as I can see. It works like I wanted it to for now. Thanks for the support.

Default Local Recipient Rejection?

I've been trying to set this up as well, and have run into one rather serious issue with this solution. In my case "avlsi.com" is aliased to fulcrummicro.com.

Old configuration: include in /etc/postfix/main.cf
    Code:
    mydestination = fulcrummicro.com, avlsi.com
    Result:
    user@avlsi.com is delivered correctly
    notauser@avlsi.com is rejected as an illegal destination

New configuration:
    fulcrummicro.com configured as the primary domain in Zimbra
    If I do the suggested configuration of
    zmprov cd avlsi.com zimbraDomainType alias zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @avlsi.com zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @fulcrummicro.com
    user@avlsi.com is indeed delivered correctly, but mail addressed to notauser@avlsi.com is accepted for delivery (and later bounced). This turns us into a giant backscatter source and cripples the server under the extra load of processing invalid recipients.

Looking for an alternate solution within the zimbra configuration...

is the issued solve? In my situation, (before i using zimbra) i just simply add additional domain in the mydestination and configure the outlook for different user to use different domain(for sending).

But i can't seem to change main.cf file, zimbra revert back to whatever admin console configured.

Can someone update the issue?

try changing your postfix value with postconf, ie:
    postconf -e (attrib)=(value)

Quote Originally Posted by Bevan Bennett View Post
    I've been trying to set this up as well, and have run into one rather serious issue with this solution. In my case "avlsi.com" is aliased to fulcrummicro.com.

Old configuration: include in /etc/postfix/main.cf
    Code:
    mydestination = fulcrummicro.com, avlsi.com
    Result:
    user@avlsi.com is delivered correctly
    notauser@avlsi.com is rejected as an illegal destination

New configuration:
    fulcrummicro.com configured as the primary domain in Zimbra
    If I do the suggested configuration of

user@avlsi.com is indeed delivered correctly, but mail addressed to notauser@avlsi.com is accepted for delivery (and later bounced). This turns us into a giant backscatter source and cripples the server under the extra load of processing invalid recipients.

Looking for an alternate solution within the zimbra configuration...
    Was this resolved? I have a similar multi-domain situation and the backscatter may have gotten me into blacklist trouble...