Thread: [SOLVED] Spam honeypot via fetchmail to spam training acct?

Default [SOLVED] Spam honeypot via fetchmail to spam training acct?

I have an old email address on one domain tractor-equip.com that has been unused for several years, but when I resurrected it just for giggles I discovered that it still receives on the order of five or six spams a day. Seems this ought to be useful for ongoing training of my Zimbra spam filters.

My thought is to set up Fetchmail to retrieve the mail for that account and route it straight to the spam training account without my ever having to examine it. Should this work?

Thanks

Dan

Default Will this work??? Anyone???

Just bumping this thread in hopes someone can give me an answer. . .

Items acquired via fetchmail do not get checked. Sorry. I think there's a bug open for that. You may want to search the bugzilla.

May I mark this thread as solved?

Thanks
    john

Sure, John. But let me ask one quick follow-up question first. If I do what I've been doing already, which is that I set up a manual check of this pop email on my main account, and then I manually mark all these messages as junk (from the ZCS web client), they will be used to train the junk filters, won't they? It's a fairly simple process, and I don't mind doing it. Hate to let all that good junk go to waste when I still have a fairly young spam filter to train!

Thanks,

Dan

Yup, That'll work & you'll be able to train.

Regards,
    john

Default setting a honeypot address as an alias to the Spam training account

One of my stale addresses attracts about 200 spam messages per day, and I would like to use it as a honeypot for my server. Say the address is john@domain1.com, can I set it as an alias to my Spam training account? will this work on Zimbra 4.5.9?

Thank you,
    -p

Welcome to the forums

I see no reason why not ... May aswell may use of it Just ensure you have added a domain alias so that you can actually receive it without it bouncing

I'm not sure if it will, because the forwarding of messages MUST be as an attachment, not inline, for the spam training account to process them properly.

You really ought to consider upgrading from 4.5.9, which is now VERY old.

If you upgrade to current versions, the process of moving a message from the inbox to the junk folder trains the spam filter. I do not know because I've never tried it, but possibly filtering all messages that hit your inbox for that account, and moving them to junk automatically, would do the same thing. . .test to confirm.

What you might consider doing (and I do not know if this will work), is setting up that honeypot account as its own account with forward-as-attachment as the forwarding method, and then creating an auto-forward on that account to your spam training account. That seems like it should do the job, I think.
    Cheers,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dwmtractor View Post
    I'm not sure if it will, because the forwarding of messages MUST be as an attachment, not inline, for the spam training account to process them properly.
    I read that it would be processed line a normal email and not via a forward mechanism ? The OP just wants to add a alias to the SPAM account ?

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    I read that it would be processed line a normal email and not via a forward mechanism ? The OP just wants to add a alias to the SPAM account ?
    I read the OP the same way. It just won't work that way. At least that's what I recall seeing somewhere. Unless there has been a change I haven't noticed, the message has to land in the spam account as an attachment from one of your other Zimbra accounts; simply setting up an alias to that account will not work. If I'm wrong, I'd be happy to discover it. . .
    Cheers,

Dan