Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partitioning

Hi dijichi2,

having spoken with our DBA I agree that it makes sense to separate /var into a separate partition to prevent the overgrown logs halting the system to a grind. Please could you tell me if the Zimbra still stores its metadata under /var/lib/mysql? Thank you.

Hi,

If server is dedicated to Zimbra and deployed not in big environment and single server installation then probably you will have 3 users.
    Suse is maintaining /var/log there is a special cronjob which is archiving logs. We weary well know have good plain text is compressed.
    (There are many more protections from beginner mistakes)

For example SuSE 10.2 is supporting Nvidia raid bat not together with LVM (at least I could not find a way have to force them work together)
    and if you have storage problems you can always add extra storage in Zimbra- Volume manager.
    (Iím not really confident about that)

LVM is nice feature.

Basically if you do not need to deploy that system to 1000 of users and you will have 2 administrators Open source version
    If you are not expert in Linux then probably you will choose simple path because there are no documentation regarding size of each mount point.

Yes there are several thinks from desktop bat itís not enterprises environment itís just a simple mail server and Zimbra is bringing power of enterprises to simple users.
    Simplicity is behind all great solutions. (and sometimes itís easier to get one more GB of ram then spend one month of optimizing system its defiantly cheaper till some point)

Firs reboot is needed after installation finish SuSE is not loading host files and loot of thinks after first start. (beginner cannot understand way some think is not working itís better to restart)
    Second restart is for same purpose. (gcc is not working well without restart)

Actually Iím a beginner so itís based on my personal experience.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

having spoken with our DBA I agree that it makes sense to separate /var into a separate partition to prevent the overgrown logs halting the system to a grind. Please could you tell me if the Zimbra still stores its metadata under /var/lib/mysql? Thank you.
    No, metadata is kept in /opt/zimbra/db and /opt/zimbra/logger - there are two seperate instances of mysql running. Metadata for mailstore is kept in sql, mostly.

Zimbra does keep a log in /var/log - /var/log/zimbra.log which can grow quite large on busy systems. It also keeps logs in /opt/zimbra/log, which depending on the veracity of logging level in random releases can grow hugely.

The external enclosure has 12 disks. I was planning to take 10 disks and turn them into RAID10, and keep 2 as hotspares. However, the traditional mail server approach suggests that it is best to separate the log files onto a separate physical disk. Would I be better of in taking 2 disks and forming a RAID1 just for that?