Thread: [SOLVED] GoDaddy MX records - user@mail.example.com vs user@example.com

Default [SOLVED] GoDaddy MX records - user@mail.example.com vs user@example.com

I finally have this server working behind a NAT device and with spilt-DNS. This time when I installed Zimbra it used mail.example.com as the domain. I was able to add another domain, example.com, after the install was complete. Now when I add a new user under example.com I have to set an alias to mail.example.com for it to work. Does it have to work this way? During the install is there a way to change the domain name. I was never prompted.
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-13-2007 at 08:15 AM. Reason: add godaddy reference

I solved my own problem. I followed a different tutorial and everything works fine now.

My biggest issue has been correctly setting up my DNS records at the site where I registered my domain name. I am using Go Daddy. Whether I was using spilt-DNS behind a NAT device or not, those HAVE to be set correctly for it to work. There really needs to be a tutorial on setting A and MX records correctly. It took me a while to figure out how to set them up. The internet is the biggest source of information and at times the biggest pain in my ......

I am now running behind a NAT device with a LAN ip and example.com as my host name.

Thanks everyone....

Ya that's actually a new wiki article Dwmtractor just put up not even half a month ago. (Beginner's_Guide_to_installing_Zimbra_on_Ubuntu_6. 06_Server)

Unfortunately you can't write a tutorial that encompases everyone's different DNS/MX needs; some have internal dns/self managed, while others have externally managed dns, and there are too many combinations and providers to cover the setup for every possibility of service provider etc.
    DNS is one of those things that everyone overlooks and takes for granted till they want to do some basic load balancing round robin. Or someone compormises their DNS and directs all their traffic to a spammers website...

Besides the Split DNS - ZimbraWiki if you haven't seen it, John had a blog article a while ago as well /blog/archives/2007/06/making_zimbra_bind_work_together_1.html
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-12-2007 at 02:24 PM.

I found a article that showed how to set up a Go Daddy account correctly. I hate to admit it but I needed someone to hold my hand and show me the way. My level of frustration made me not see the problem right in front of me. I reloaded the server countless times and it was always fine. Those little A and MX records at Go Daddy were the problem the whole time. It was really never a problem with Ubuntu or Zimbra. The instructions I followed were useless until I had my Go Daddy settings fixed. Maybe I can help someone out in the future.

Thanks again...
    Last edited by AutootuA; 09-13-2007 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Because I can't speel.

I marked your other 2 threads as solved.

lol-I seem to remember something like:
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorse
    I don't know what type of 'dns management portal' you have, so I'd suggest contacting them...
    Quote Originally Posted by AutootuA
    I found a article that should how to set up a Go Daddy account correctly.
    Got a link for those who come after you so they won't have to go through the same frustration?

This is the info that pointed me in the right direction about Go Daddy. I didn't bookmark the site but I saved the info and picture. I wish I had something about Go Daddy in my title...

Title: New mail server, MX Record & Godaddy

smarin820:
    Hey folks, we just got a new mailtraq mail server and are going to host it ourselves. I got the server all setup and made changes through the dns control panel at godaddy. My problem is that the on dnsreport it fails at the mx record stating this:

MX FAIL MX Category
    ERROR: I couldn't find any MX records for canyoncresthome.com. If you want to receive E-mail on this domain, you should have MX record(s). Without any MX records, mailservers should attempt to deliver mail to the A record for canyoncresthome.com. I can't continue in a case like this, so I'm assuming you don't receive mail on this domain.

Mail FAIL Connect to mail servers
    ERROR: I could not find any mailservers for canyoncresthome.com.

If I ping mail.canyoncresthome.com it does resolve to our outside IP, which is good. I called Godaddy to see if they could check that my setting in the dns control panel are correct but they told me they cannot assist me because they do not control the "mail server", therefore, they have no idea what settings to use. So right now we are in bad shape since we cannot get email.

Here is a screen shot of the DNS control panel, can you let me know if it is correct? Basically the changes I did are as follows:

Added the A record HOST - mail - which points to our outside IP
    and canged the goes to part in he MX recored to mail.canyoncresthome.com

I'm quite certain the mail server is set correctly, along with the proper ports being opened on our Firewall.

Thanks!

--Steve

rvthost:
    Hi Steve,

Modify your MX record at Go Daddy. Your current MX record has a host of "mail". Change the host value to "@" and leave the rest. That should take care of it.

rvthost:
    Hi again....I posted quick to get your fix published. But to help you understand why this fixes the problem, you just need to know how the host field relates to MX records.

Your MX has a "go to" of mail.canyoncresthome.com which is correct. This is saying that mail for this domain will go to the IP address that you have for your 'A' record of 'mail'. This is all correct. The HOST field indicates the email addresses that the MX record handles (in this case, '@canyoncresthome.com').

So your MX record of:

Priority 10
    Host @
    Goes to mail.canyoncresthome.com
    TTL 3600

... literally tells sending mail servers, "Please deliver email for '@canyoncresthome.com' addresses to the mail server at 'mail.canyoncresthome.com'."

So now you can see why it failed when you had your host value of 'mail'