Thread: zimbra contacts have +1 added to them

Default zimbra contacts have +1 added to them

Does anyone know how to stop Zimbra from adding a +1 to the start of all contacts? I've setup the Asterisk zimlet, and it won't work because it constantly prepends 1 to all contacts (and of course, most are local).

Just as a FYI, most places here have 10 digit dialing, so the existence of an area code does _not_ mean long distance. In that same tact, a user's current area code is not all local.

For example, areacode 123 has both local and long distance numbers in it, and requires 10 digit dialing, and is my local area code.

Does anyone know how to turn off the addition of 1?

Hmm, no ideas anyone?

If there is a clarity error to my question, please let me know. If that's just the way it works, please let me know.

However, I can assure the staff of Zimbra that I won't be buying a product that I have to purchase, before I can get simple responses to perceived bugs when embarking upon the trial.

I have a few other minor issues as well. None of them are show stoppers individually, but collectively they give me cause for concern. Should I bother to post them here? Should I be using some other venue to ask these questions?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums,
    Sometimes replies take more than 24hrs
    and you'll still T-2 (or T+22 depending on how you look at it -lol)

So a '1' where your at qualifies it as a long distance call but not a 10 digit correct?

The current status of how the zimlet works:
    If it starts with a "+", do not modify
    If it has > 10 digits, do not modify
    If it has < 10 digits, do not modify
    And the one your concerned about:
    If it has 10 digits, prepend a "1"
    [if (numStr.length == 10) {numStr = "1"+numStr;}]

You still want to change this?-let me know and I'll start you on the steps

(If totally different from asterisk/this issue then new thread)
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-19-2007 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Welcome to the forums,
    Sometimes replies take more than 24hrs
    Sorry, just anxious to figure out what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post

And the one your concerned about:
    If it has 10 digits, prepend a "1"
    [if (numStr.length == 10) {numStr = "1"+numStr;}]

You still want to change this?-let me know and I'll start you on the steps
    Yes. The thing is, more and more areas have 10 digit local dialing, as more and more areas get squashed. That is, it's hard to find free local prefixes, [ (XXX) NNN-YYYY <--- NNN = local prefix ] so most phone companies up here are forced to resort to 10 digit local dialing.

Honestly, I'm incredibly surprised that the Asterisk zimlet functions in such a way. I don't think you can find a high density urban area Canada wide, that doesn't have 10 digit dialing enforced. Many low density urban areas are also in the same boat. In fact, I think all of Ontario is.

I don't know how things sit in the US, but I would be surprised if it wasn't the same. Part of the issue here is that our Zimbra users are going to be syncing their mobile devices. Most of these users have hundreds of contacts, and some thousands. Prepending + to these is ... difficult.

One of the good ideas that cell phone providers have enacted here, is that if you dial a long distance number on your mobile, without prefixing it with 1, it will state

"The number you have called is a long distance call. In the future, please prefix this number with a 1. We are now connecting you, thanks".

As well, if you dial a number with a 1, and the number is a local call, the mobile provider will simply put the call through.

This allows for users to travel far and wide, and not prefix their numbers with 1 on any of their contacts... and then when syncing with their exchange (or Zimbra) server, they can still dial local numbers. After all, the 1 is not there.

Add to this turmoil the fact that many users have _multiple_ local areacodes. For example, this install is in the 613 areacode, and can locally call some local exchanges in both the 613 and 819 areacode.

Of course, there is no simple fix for this situation. A correct fix would be for the user to add their local area code + local prefixs for all instances of local area codes that are not to be prepended with a 1.

So, I guess a list of numbers such as:

denoting local calls would be the only way to effectively have the 1 prepended at the right place.

I guess the only real way to do such a thing would be to make it part of the Asterisk zimlet setup. After all, one must put their Asterisk IP into the conf file when setting things up, so it is no worry to have an array with the same... I'm guessing. Perhaps a comma delimited variable, then split into an array?

Anyhow, if we move down the Zimbra path (it looks good for that, btw), I might take some time to code this myself. I'm not sure how interested people upstream are in this, though...

Thanks for the reply.

It also depends on how you view internal company usage, it was also set to ignore anything <> 10 because so many companies have internal calling schemes, but you figure a 10 digit, and people might be talking about an external #

In the US adding 1 infront of a 10 digit phone number doesn't hurt a thing in most places/doesn't change calling costs etc. The the whole 'local numbers shouldn't start with a 0 or 1' was lost on most people + the sheer volume of area codes grew and it would be too hard to pull out a map each time...0 or 1 was supposed to tell the local exchange to pass it off. Now we have PIC/CIC Presubscribed/Primary/Carrier Interchange Codes (they start with 101 - don't even ask me to explain lineside vs trunkside access) & databases involved. Numbers dialed usually get analyzed 'later' to apply billing schemes/calling areas/plans.
    Though you only have a few (the numbers are entered after 101CCCC+1+AAA+PPP+NNNN):
    CICENTITYCITYSTATECOUNTRY
    0242SasktelOttawa ONCANADA
    0250Distributel Communications Ltd.Ottawa ONCANADA
    0324TELUS Communications (Edmonton) Inc. (TCE)Ottawa ONCANADA
    0422Island Tel, PEIOttawa ONCANADA
    0434Maritime Tel & TelOttawa ONCANADA
    0445NewTel CommunicationsOttawaONCANADA
    0575Distributel Communications Ltd.Ottawa ONCANADA
    1234Distributel Communications Ltd.Ottawa ONCANADA
    1515Distributel Communications Ltd.Ottawa ONCANADA
    2345Distributel Communications Ltd.Ottawa ONCANADA
    5967Island Tel, PEIOttawa ONCANADA
    6242SasktelOttawa ONCANADA
    6283NewTel CommunicationsOttawaONCANADA
    6353NewTel CommunicationsOttawaONCANADA
    6434Maritime Tel & TelOttawa ONCANADA
    Nothing like CO's run by a ton of different companies: http://cnac.ca/data/ac613.htm http://.cnac.ca/data/ac819.htm
    (and monopoly breakups every few years add to the mess)

Getting back on track...
    ---
    So what you need to do is play with opt/zimbra/zimlets-extra/com_zimbra_asterisk.zip (make a backup copy of that zip first).

Then remove the code that adds 1 to 10 digits etc.

You could also work from /opt/zimbra/tomcat/webapps/service/zimlet/com_zimbra_asterisk to save some time of un-deploying/re-zipping/re-deploying while testing.
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-19-2007 at 02:11 PM.