Thread: Need Active Directory Search Term

Unhappy Need Active Directory Search Term

Just installed the demo of Zimbra and am trying to integrate with our instance of Active Directory. Unfortunately, the documentation for AD is lacking a bit. What is an appropriate value for the text box marked "Please provide a search term" in the "GAL Configuration Wizard"?

Thanks, in advance, for your assistance.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Welcome to the forums.

There's documentation in both the wiki and forums if you search for it.
    Last edited by phoenix; 09-22-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spulling
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Still Need Active Directory Search Term

Wow... what a crappy response for a "Zimbra Employee" to send. I'd expect that from a self-proclaimed Linux-god in a newbie forum, but not from someone trying to support a company who is currently evaluating your product for a PAID license.

Your Active Directory documentation is less than adequate. I've read it. I've also integrated other products into AD without any issues.

I still need the search term. Appearently, based on the number of threads I've found from Google, so do many other people.

My apologies. I did now you were an unpaid volunteer. That does change things. Since your profile identified you as a "Zimbra Employee," I was upset to see such a brief response. An employee of the company should be more than willing to supply a very verbose response. I would not expect the same from someone who is simply assisting out of kindness.

Welcome to the forums,

Could you tell us what you put in all the other blanks? base dc, binddn, filters, etc

Though you don't mention it yet, are you planning to use external auth w/ AD as well? You will need to provision users in zimbra first, see:
    Zmprov - ZimbraWiki
    Zmprov Examples - ZimbraWiki
    Bulk Provisioning - ZimbraWiki

As you said your an NE user: You can also open a ticket in the support portal or email support@zimbra.com if you need help.

Also, add your version information/operating system to your profile:
    a) it makes a difference some times on what commands we give or options that you can take
    b) so we don't have to ask all the time in the future (sometimes it's a pain to dig through old posts)

via the command line:
    Code:
    su zimbra
    zmcontrol -v
    or in the main search bar of the web-client enter:
    Code:
    $set:get version
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile > about halfway down the page 'additional information' > zimbra version blank
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-26-2007 at 12:45 PM.

I pm'd him to see if he was doing ok:
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorse
    You figure out your external GAL with AD?
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVREF

Nope. =(

Actually, I was just emailing Jovi Poulose, our sales rep, to ask for his assistance finding some answers.

At this point, it APPEARS that we have the GAL configured properly. The "test" succeeds during the configuration. However, it does not function as I would expect it to.

One would assume that a user should be able to login to Zimbra using their AD username and password. However, no combination of GAL settings accomplishes this. Because of this, I cannot be certain that the GAL/AD settings are configured properly.

For us to be able to switch from Exchange to Zimbra, users must be able to login using their AD username and password. Do you know if this is possible and/or how to configure it?

Thanx. ={
    So your original thread was for the "GAL Configuration Wizard".

Authentication is different than the Global Address List. It's setup in the same domain's area but doesn't have anything to do with the gal-it's it's own wizard. Also, as said in above-you will need to create the accounts in zimbra first.

Ask away if you need to-but Jovi should be putting you in touch with support real soon if he hasn't already.
    Though coming back to let us know/post 'it worked' is always nice
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-23-2007 at 07:33 PM.

Don't forget that auto-provisionning does not exist and you have to create the accounts in the Zimbra server.