Thread: Trying to upgrade 4.5.6 to 4.5.7 and bombing completely

Unhappy Trying to upgrade 4.5.6 to 4.5.7 and bombing completely

OK, I'm probably missing something important and simple, but I can't find it in forum or Wiki. . .I'm trying to upgrade from 4.5.6 to 4.5.7 on an Ubuntu 6.06 server, and it ain't happening.

First of all, it makes me change my hosts file from what's working on 4.5.6
    Code:
    127.0.0.1       localhost
    10.3.2.244      mail.tractor-equip.net  tractor-equip.net       mail
    to a version without "mail" on the end or it flat-out refuses to run at all.

Then when I do run it I get errors by the zillion and I don't understand any of them, but when I'm done zmcontrol -v says I'm still on 4.5.6 (which I guess is a good thing).

I was going to post my log, but a reboot of the server (done to try to get that darn logger and status screen to work) seems to have cleaned a whole lot of stuff, including the install files and log, out of my /tmp directory (is that normal??? ). But I can tell you it had Java errors by the zillion, said that there were port conflicts on every port Zimbra uses, and when it came back up with the configuration screen at the end of the install it asked me if I wanted to set POP3 and SNMP ports (neither of which I'm using). I told it to quit without setting them, and that's when I found that no upgrade had happened.

I need some pointers here; I thought that an upgrade was supposed to be fairly straightforward and easy; if that is true then I royally screwed up. . .

Thanks in advance,

Dan

What are the errors?

Also, your hosts file is wrong.

It should be
    Code:
    10.3.2.244      mail.tractor-equip.net    mail

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    What are the errors?
    I don't have them because they died on reboot; I'll try to re-create another day/evening

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Also, your hosts file is wrong.

It should be
    Code:
    10.3.2.244      mail.tractor-equip.net    mail
    Well, that is what I would have thought, and that's how I had originally configured it, but when I started up that way I wound up with my Zimbra thinking it's FQDN was mail.mail.tractor-equip.net, which was a pain. So I re-installed with it only as tractor-equip.net, and then it couldn't send messages to itself, which is why I wound up with the file you see here, which has been working flawlessly.

I don't claim to understand it, this is just what worked! Restarting Zimbra 4.5.6 after the bombed installation didn't work till I restored it to this format.