Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: postfix is not running

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dogatemycomputer View Post
    This obviously won't help everyone but understanding that Postfix cannot be loaded as root but needs to be loaded as user zimbra was interesting and fixed my problem.
    I'm somewhat confused by your post and it is slightly misleading.

Zimbra does not require Postfix to be installed in your operating system, ZCS has all the components it needs when you install it and that includes a copy of postfix. The steps you've described above are not required, all you've done there is install a copy of postfix then start it then restart Zimbra which won't run because postfix (the operating system version) is installed and running. You then stop the o/s version of postfix, switch to the zimbra user and start ZCS (which includes it's own copy of postfix) and that works - you simply didn't need to install postfix.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I'm somewhat confused by your post and it is slightly misleading.

Zimbra does not require Postfix to be installed in your operating system, ZCS has all the components it needs when you install it and that includes a copy of postfix. The steps you've described above are not required, all you've done there is install a copy of postfix then start it then restart Zimbra which won't run because postfix (the operating system version) is installed and running.
    As I said.. this solution is not for everyone. I made it clear the OS version of Postfix was disabled, Sendmail was disabled and restarting Zimbra would not load Zimbra's copy of Postfix. I needed to get the mail server up and running. Disabling sendmail and restarting Zimbra did not help but installing a fresh copy of Postfix resolved the problem. In light of your comment I may still go back and try to understand why Zimbra would not start Postifx and why installing a fresh copy fixed the problem or try reinstalling Zimbra's bundled version.

In any case I will concede that a less experienced tech may be in serious trouble if they have a broken copy of Postfix installed so they try installing a second copy which could make things worse.