Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Autocompletion of new domain addresses in GAL

Hybrid View

Default [SOLVED] Autocompletion of new domain addresses in GAL

I'm probably going to make myself sound really stupid over this!

I'm not even sure if it's an error with Zimbra or on my part and I can't really explain it easily.

Using CentOS 4.4, Zimbra NE 4.5.9 and Firefox 2.0.8.

We are changing our company name soon.
    In preparation for this I am changing staff email user names from, for example, russs@domain.com to russ.smith@domain.co.uk (I'll use these two email formats to represent the old and new domains from now on)

So, I added the new 'domain.co.uk' domain in the Admin GUI. We now have four there, which I believe is OK, (I'm not sure if there is a limit on Domains). The first two were created at Server setup (4.5.6 I think) and the last two in the last two weeks,one before upgrading to 4.5.9 and one after.

Lets say they are called;

domain.com
    domain.biz (original two mentioned above)

domain.uk
    domain.co.uk (two added in last two weeks)

If, whilst logged on as a User from the old domain russs@domain.com I click on 'New' to create a new email message and start typing in one of the new email addresses, say russ.smith@domain.co.uk, it doesn't auto-complete from the GAL!
    If I try to send to a group in the new Domain, say, users@domain.co.uk, it still doesn't appear but it is definitely not ticked 'Hide in GAL'.
    In fact I can only ever see names in my Contacts/Emailed Contacts or from our primary, oldest Domain, I'm sure it didn't use to be like this though!
    So, if I type russ into the To: field it will only ever guess at outside email or my old russs@domain.com address.

Am I making any sense with this! Am I missing something simple? Is it something to do with Virtual Host or GAL settings? is this just the way it should work, that you only see your main Domain in the GAL?
    All of the domains are set to 'Internal' in GAL. All of the domain are set to External Active Directory for authentication although I tried the new one as internal at first, neither made any difference.

Any help much appreciated! Please put me out of my misery

Russ
    Last edited by russgalleywood; 11-06-2007 at 08:16 AM.

Currently the GAL for users is domain specific. I am also currently trying to find a way to get users from one domain to see entries in their own GAL as well as the GAL for another domain. I will post here if I have any luck.

russgalleywood has already seen this: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...iases-gal.html

ArcaneMagus, it sound's like you're interested in going:
    zmprov mcf zimbraGalInternalSearchBase ROOT
    (yes caps)
    DOMAIN is the default
    SUBDOMAIN is a v5 feature

I had already seen how to set the base search for the GAL to ROOT but that will not work in my situation. I have 27 domains on this server. I only want 2 specific domains to share their GAL. Our IT staff is on Domain A while the rest of the company is on Domain B. It would be acceptable if the IT staff on Domain A could see GAL entries from all domains but users on Domain B need to only see users on Domains A and B.
    Last edited by ArcaneMagus; 11-26-2007 at 09:38 AM. Reason: clarification

You could use both internal & external GAL lookups against yourself so that A<>B and B<>A:

Don't know what version it might have been added in but you may be able to set it at the domain level instead of globally with zmprov modifyDomain.

OR

DomainA:
    GAL: both
    Server type: LDAP
    LDAP url: ldap://serverwithldapservice.domain.com:389
    LDAP filter: (uid=%u) parenthesis included
    Autocomplete filter: It should autofill with externalLdapAutoComplete, but doesn't always do so the first round of setting up; though it will show up after you apply. (but you could add it now if wanted/if it requires you to in an error at the end)
    LDAP search base: dc=domainB,dc=com ("" might coax search across all domains)
    Bind DN: shouldn't need to bother - but you could always do something like cn=admin,dc=domain,dc=com

DomainB:
    GAL: both
    LDAP url: ldap://serverwithldapservice.domain.com:389 ssl 636 if desired
    LDAP filter: (uid=%n) parenthesis included
    Autocomplete filter: ignore unless you can't click finish/test gives error/error in mailbox.log then enter externalLdapAutoComplete
    LDAP search base: dc=domainA,dc=com
    Bind DN: ignore

LDAP Filter notes:
    (uid=%u) - The user has a uid attribute value in the external directory equal to the user portion of the Zimbra user account.
    (uid=%n) - Entire Zimbra user account is used to identify user in the external directory.
    or even (&(|(cn=*%s*)(sn=*%s*)(gn=*%s*)(mail=*%s*)(zimbraMai lDeliveryAddress=*%s*) (zimbraMailAlias=*%s*)(zimbraMailAddress=*%s*))(|( objectclass=zimbraAccount)(objectclass=zimbraDistr ibutionList)))
    Last edited by mmorse; 11-27-2007 at 07:37 AM.

Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for. I just used 127.0.0.2 as the server address since they are all on the same server.

Is the procedure that mmorse documented possible with no external LDAP? I have several domains that would like to share 1 GAL, but they are using Zimbra for LDAP, nothing external.

As I am also only using Zimbra for the LDAP server I would have to say that yes it is possible. I set my "external" LDAP server address to 127.0.0.2 (the address that the local server was running on on my server) and it worked.

I tried following these directions (I may be doing something wrong), but I get this error when testing:

service.FAILURE
    system failure: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String
    btpool0-6:1212443158147:30eefe7ee20827e7

If it helps at all here is my exact configuration:

Domain 1
    GAL mode: Both
    Most results returned by GAL search: 100
    LDAP filter:* (&(|(cn=*%s*)(sn=*%s*)(gn=*%s*)(mail=*%s*)(zimbraMai lDeliveryAddress=*%s*)(zimbraMailAddress=*%s*))(|( objectclass=zimbraAccount)(objectclass=zimbraDistr ibutionList)))
    Autocomplete filter: externalLdapAutoComplete
    LDAP search base: dc=domain 2,dc=com
    LDAP URL: ldap://127.0.0.2:389
    Bind DN:

Domain 2
    GAL mode: Both
    Most results returned by GAL search: 100
    LDAP filter:* (&(|(cn=*%s*)(sn=*%s*)(gn=*%s*)(mail=*%s*)(zimbraMai lDeliveryAddress=*%s*)(zimbraMailAddress=*%s*))(|( objectclass=zimbraAccount)(objectclass=zimbraDistr ibutionList)))
    Autocomplete filter: externalLdapAutoComplete
    LDAP search base: dc=domain 1,dc=com
    LDAP URL: ldap://127.0.0.2:389
    Bind DN:

Note: The forum appears to be adding in some spaces into the filter which I can't seem to remove.