Thread: Config forward of all messages to mailarchiva server

Default Config forward of all messages to mailarchiva server

Hello,

I have been digging through the forums trying to determine exactly how to do this, and I cannot get it to work.

I want to configure Zimbra (4.5.9) to send a copy of every message to a mailarchiva server which is listening on port 25. I have already verified that the mailarchiva server will receive messages.

However, when I try to configure Zimbra to use the transport map file I created, is simply does not. The transport line reads like this
    domain.com smtp:hostname:25

And I followed the instructions in the post about updating the system to read both the ldap file and the hash transport file for transport maps, but when I check the logs, there is nothing to indicate that the server even attempted to forward a message to the mailarchiva server specified in the transport map file.

I did check that if I follow the instructions in the wiki for split domain setup, and I change the mta for one user email address, then the server will send all mail for that user to the mailarchiva server. but obviously there is not a copy stored on the zimbra server.

I would appreciate any help on how to get postfix in zimbra to automatically forward a copy of all messages to another mta. We are under a sarbanes-oxley requirement and would like to archive all mail in the mailarchiva server.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums,

Just so you're aware NE version has an excellent add-on that does envelope forking called Archiving & Discovery w/ cross mailbox search - often referred to as ZAD for short.
    (This can be used with a non-zimbra mailserver if you wish, though you'd loose the cross mailbox search abilities of course.)
    More on it:
    /pdf/Zimbra Archiving and Discovery Whitepaper.pdf
    /pdf/Zimbra Archiving and Discovery Release Notes.pdf

For FOSS many use the always_bcc method of archiving.

If you're going to play with transport maps some recent thread are: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...port-maps.html & http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...html#post62529
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-19-2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: links - zimbra.com/pdf/ vs files.zimbra.com/website/docs/

Default I checked out the NE version...

but I would prefer to do this in the community edition if possible.

I would like to understand how to get Zimbra to use the manual transport map as well as the ldap file for transport maps that is installed by default.

I think there has got to be a way to program the postfix in Zimbra to function like the split domain example, but keep a copy of all messages for domain users on the zimbra server, and forward a copy of all domain messages to the second server.

Seems like it should be simple, but I cannot get it work.

Default Store and forward a copy to another MTA

I would like to do the same thing as visualsoftspace, but for different reasons.

I would like to eventually replace the MS Exchange server I have running at my home office with Zimbra OSS, however during my Zimbra evaluation period, I would like to have both Zimbra and Exchange running and receiving mail for a single domain.
    I only have one internet connection and I can only forward port 25 on my router to a single internal server, and I would like Zimbra to be the primary. However, I also want a COPY of every message Zimbra receives for my domain to be forwarded to an internal host (Exchange Server) listening on Port 25.

I've seen the Wiki post on managing domains, but it is unclear to me if this will cause Zimbra to simply pass the messages on to the MTA of my choosing, or will it also deliver a copy of the message to the account holder in Zimbra.

In short, I want messages destined for users@mydomain.com to be delivered to the named user in Zimbra, but a copy also forwarded to another internal MTA.

Is this Possible?

So far, nothing I've found in the forum and Wiki addresses this specific need.

Default Mailarchiva and Zimbra... Plus Spam Filter

Ok... I hate to open this thing up again, but I am having a problem that I just cannot solve!

I can get Zimbra 5.05 to work with MailArchiva no problem. But, the issue is, by adding in the smtpd_milters line into the main.cf file on the zimbra box, it sends the messages to MailArchiva before it gets processed for spam and viruses. Clearly thats a problem, since about 90% of the stuff we get is junk that I'd hate to archive.

So, my bright idea is to put in place a mail filter in front of the zimbra box, then relay the mail from that to zimbra. Then, when zimbra gets the mail, it will forward the mail to MailArchiva (having already been filtered by the new mail filter, not zimbra).

In theory this will work beautifully. In practice.... I am getting an error on my mail filter, which runs Postfix 2.5. The error is located in the /var/log/maillog file and reads:

warning: milter inet:ipaddressofzimbra:25: unexpected reply "m" in initial handshake

On the zimbra server, if I check the zimbra.log file, I see the following entries:

postfix/smtpd[25086]: connect from mailfilter.domain.com[192.168.1.3]
    postfix/smtpd[25086]: lost connection after CONNECT from mailfilter.domain.com[192.168.1.3]
    postfix/smtpd[25086]: disconnect from mailfilter.domain.com[192.168.1.3]

Again, if instead of inputting the ip address of zimbra, I put the ip address of mailarchiva, it works beautifully. So, I am curious if there is some restriction in zimbra's postfix that would stop me from sending the mail from my filter to the zimbra server.

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?