Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installation keeps freezing....

Default Installation keeps freezing....

My installation keeps freezing. I have placed the ZCSLicense.xml file in the correct directory (/opt/zimbra/conf/) but for some reason everytime I completely uninstall, remove the package, redownload, tar the package, and reinstall, it keeps freezing when looking for a valid license. Mind you, each time I go to my email and download the attached .xml file and place in the appropriate folder, so that is not the issue.

I need help.

chown zimbra:zimbra /opt/zimbra/conf/ZCSLicense.xml
    chmod 444 /opt/zimbra/conf/ZCSLicense.xml

Also could you post your terminal commands, install log, etc; and if your going upgrading from foss did you match the packages?

huh? English please I am not a seasoned Linux user.

No problem,

If I'm understanding you this is a fresh NE trial correct?
    What's the package/file name you downloaded?

So this command sets the ownership of the file from root (or other user) to zimbra:
    Code:
    chown zimbra:zimbra /opt/zimbra/conf/ZCSLicense.xml
    And this command sets who can read that file:
    Code:
    chmod 444 /opt/zimbra/conf/ZCSLicense.xml

That didn't seem to work. Why must Linux Software Installations be so complicated?

I am basically going to have to completely wipe my entire system once again. This is going on like the 5 reformat. Is there a step by step on the installation with concrete steps, not an "if your environment is like this, or if your environment is like that" case.

Microsoft's products are so much easier to install and it would be nice if I could get some phone support. If I can't get this installed just as a trial, then we won't be purchasing it.

Hi eteno-
    Quote Originally Posted by eteno View Post
    That didn't seem to work. Why must Linux Software Installations be so complicated?
    The paradigm of software is different with Linux. If you are mostly familiar with Windows/Microsoft, then of course the software is going to be easier. There is a learning curve.

I am basically going to have to completely wipe my entire system once again. This is going on like the 5 reformat. Is there a step by step on the installation with concrete steps, not an "if your environment is like this, or if your environment is like that" case.
    I can't imagine why in the world you would wipe your entire system. That's really not needed. If the Linux system itself is malfunctioning, I can understand the need to format. However, if it is Zimbra malfunctioning, you can just uninstall it.

Microsoft's products are so much easier to install and it would be nice if I could get some phone support. If I can't get this installed just as a trial, then we won't be purchasing it.
    Quite honestly, if this is your very first Linux install, you may want to try to use VMWare and play with it more. Zimbra makes e-mail easier to install on linux, but if you're still learning, that might be a better bet. As far as phone support, we do provide it for paying customers. Phone calls cost money and man-hours.

Best-
    john

VMWare is not an option for us and in personal use I have found quite impossible to use as well. Why is it that there isn't just a step by step instruction on how to install it?

I have read over the Zimbra Installation guide for the past 6 months and have gotten nowhere. I have never been able to get a successful installation, not even after 6 months.

Well, I wish we could help more.

I suspect that there may be something in the install guide that may not be done correctly.

Many who learn linux and zimbra, do so from trial and error/wiki/guides. Posting questions is also a good way.

VMWare wouldn't be your perm solution, but rather a way to test and play with it. And if you mess it up, you just restore the snapshot.

However, 6 months is a long time to be stuck. I don't think the problem here is with the software, but rather with training. We'll help out as much as we can, however, the forums and Zimbra support still rely on a certain level of knowledge.

Please don't misunderstand or take my comments in offense. Linux can be difficult to get a grasp of, and we've all been there.

When you dive in, you either sink or swim.

VMWare is not an option for us and in personal use I have found quite impossible to use as well. Why is it that there isn't just a step by step instruction on how to install it?

I have read over the Zimbra Installation guide for the past 6 months and have gotten nowhere. I have never been able to get a successful installation, not even after 6 months.
    eteno,

There's no substitute for getting under the hood in Linux, which is both its greatest asset and greatest liability. I have been there, and I understand your frustration.

I wrote a very basic step-by-step guide for installing Zimbra using the Ubuntu version of Linux. It doesn't break it all down, but some have found it simpler than many such guides. You might want to give it a try.

Infact, I still don't know what operating system you were on -we could give you more help with that information.

You may be better off going with a hosting provider if it proves to be too much: http://www.zimbra.com/partners/zimbra_hosting.html

If you want to continue - could you answer these two questions first:
    What's the package/file name you downloaded?
    And what operating system/platform are you running?

To start fresh: UnInstall Zimbra - Zimbra :: Wiki
    (you may not have everything that's in that doc- that's ok, as you didn't finish installing anyway)

We will certainly give it our best shot at helping you though!
    Last edited by mmorse; 11-09-2007 at 04:56 PM.