Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installation fails during install of Zimbra-mta RPM

Now for the downer. The install still fails at the same point.
    I'm not surprised. As I said in my previous response, I didn't think the install would fail at this point just because of DNS. Try downloading the package again and also check the disk space on your system. If you are still having the problems post the complete output of your installation attempt (wrap in 'code' for better readability).

An interesting development. I deleted the zcs source directory I was running install.sh out of, extracted the drectory again and tried to reinstall. Now the install failed at the ldap package.

There are a few ldap packages on the box, but slapd is not running.

Code:
    Installing packages

zimbra-core......zimbra-core-4.5.9_GA_1455.RHEL4-20071016180905.i386.rpm...done
        zimbra-ldap......zimbra-ldap-4.5.9_GA_1455.RHEL4-20071016180905.i386.rpm...FAILED
    ###ERROR###

zimbra-ldap-4.5.9_GA_1455.RHEL4-20071016180905.i386.rpm installation failed

Installation cancelled
    Just tried again. Same thing. I'll try re-downloading the package per your suggestion. I'll post the results.

After I removed the old RPM's, deleted the program diectory, re-downloaded, extracted and all, the install seems to have been successful, up until I get the following error message:

Code:
    Operations logged to /tmp/install.log.24009
    Checking for existing installation...
        zimbra-ldap...NOT FOUND
        zimbra-logger...NOT FOUND
        zimbra-mta...NOT FOUND
        zimbra-snmp...NOT FOUND
        zimbra-store...NOT FOUND
        zimbra-apache...NOT FOUND
        zimbra-spell...NOT FOUND
        zimbra-core...NOT FOUND

PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE SOFTWARE.
    ZIMBRA, INC. ("ZIMBRA") WILL ONLY LICENSE THIS SOFTWARE TO YOU IF YOU
    FIRST ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. BY DOWNLOADING OR INSTALLING
    THE SOFTWARE, OR USING THE PRODUCT, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY
    THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS
    AGREEMENT, THEN DO NOT DOWNLOAD, INSTALL OR USE THE PRODUCT.

License Terms for the Zimbra Collaboration Suite:
    http://www.zimbra.com/license/zimbra_network_eval_license.pdf

Press Return to continue

Checking for prerequisites...
        NPTL...FOUND
        sudo...FOUND sudo-1.6.7p5-30.1
        libidn...FOUND libidn-0.5.6-1
        curl...FOUND curl-7.12.1-3
        fetchmail...FOUND fetchmail-6.2.5-6.0.1
        gmp...FOUND gmp-4.1.4-3
        compat-libstdc++-296...FOUND compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-132.7.2
        compat-libstdc++-33...FOUND compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-47.3
        /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5...FOUND

Checking for installable packages

Found zimbra-core
    Found zimbra-ldap
    Found zimbra-logger
    Found zimbra-mta
    Found zimbra-snmp
    Found zimbra-store
    Found zimbra-apache
    Found zimbra-spell

Select the packages to install

Install zimbra-ldap [Y] y

Install zimbra-logger [Y] y

Install zimbra-mta [Y] y

Install zimbra-snmp [Y] y

Install zimbra-store [Y] y

Install zimbra-spell [Y] y
    Checking required space for zimbra-core
    checking space for zimbra-store

Installing:
        zimbra-core
        zimbra-ldap
        zimbra-logger
        zimbra-mta
        zimbra-snmp
        zimbra-store
        zimbra-apache
        zimbra-spell
    y
    The system will be modified.  Continue? [N] y
    A Yes/No answer is required

The system will be modified.  Continue? [N] y

Removing /opt/zimbra
    Installing packages

zimbra-core......zimbra-core-4.5.9_GA_1455.RHEL4-20071016180905.i386.rpm...done
        zimbra-ldap......zimbra-ldap-4.5.9_GA_1455.RHEL4-20071016180905.i386.rpm...done
        zimbra-logger......zimbra-logger-4.5.9_GA_1455.RHEL4-20071016180905.i386.rpm...done
        zimbra-mta......zimbra-mta-4.5.9_GA_1455.RHEL4-20071016180905.i386.rpm...done
        zimbra-snmp......zimbra-snmp-4.5.9_GA_1455.RHEL4-20071016180905.i386.rpm...done
        zimbra-store......zimbra-store-4.5.9_GA_1455.RHEL4-20071016180905.i386.rpm...done
        zimbra-apache......zimbra-apache-4.5.9_GA_1455.RHEL4-20071016180905.i386.rpm...done
        zimbra-spell......zimbra-spell-4.5.9_GA_1455.RHEL4-20071016180905.i386.rpm...done
    Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.log.24844
    Setting defaults...No results returned for A lookup of TB003.remitpro.local
    Checked nameservers:

DNS ERROR resolving TB003.mydomain.local
    It is suggested that the hostname be resolveable via DNS
    Change hostname [Yes]
    For giggles I went back the change I made to the named.conf file, wherein before I had TB003.mydomain.local specified for the zone. This seems to be the reason I can no longer perform an NSlookup against TB003.mydomain.local . I undid the change, and can then perform a successful NSlookup on my FQDN. So I'm stuck. Am I beyond the point in the install where reverting this back will have a negative effect? Is there a configuration option I can use to make both fixes work?

Thanks guys for all the help.
    Last edited by ddenton; 11-15-2007 at 12:33 PM.

With the aforementioned change, I've been able to move past the error and the program is installing, seemingly correct. If I have to nuke it and start over for any reason, I'll post it here.

Hopefully you are on the right track, but honestly the DNS stuff still doesn't seem right to me. What's TB003. remitpro.local?

Post back if you are still having issues.

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    Hopefully you are on the right track, but honestly the DNS stuff still doesn't seem right to me. What's TB003. remitpro.local?

Post back if you are still having issues.
    That's my brain misfiring. That should have been TB003.mydomain.local .

For the 4th time now, I've run into a situation where the install is going great, and hangs when the server is "looking for a valid license to install...". I downloaded the trial license from Zimbra, placed in in a directory where it could be accessible, and by this time I have passed the point where I specify the path to it. When my server gets to the last line below, it hangs completely. Only a hardware reboot fixes the problem. Upon restart, the server hangs when starting Zimbra services. Rebooting interactively and not starting Zimbra is the only way I can get the box to boot.

At first, I thought that the port 25 conflict I had run into might be at fault, but disabling exim fixed that ( I had removed the sendmail package before installing Zimbra), and a reboot without exim running still hung the system.

Code:
    Setting MTA auth host...Done
    Setting TimeZone Preference...done.
    Creating domain TB003.mydomain.local...Done
    Creating user admin@tb003.mydomain.local...Done
    Creating postmaster alias...Done
    Creating user wiki@tb003.mydomain.local...Done
    Creating user spam.3hcy.y1set@tb003.mydomain.local...Done
    Creating user ham.rocuhsyza@tb003.mydomain.local...Done
    Setting spam training accounts...Done
    Initializing store sql database...Done
    Setting zimbraSmtpHostname for TB003.mydomain.local...Done
    Initializing logger sql database...Done
    Initializing mta config...Done
    Configuring SNMP...Done
    Setting services on TB003.mydomain.local...Done
    Setting up zimbra crontab...Done
    Setting up syslog.conf...Done
    Setting default backup schedule...Done
    Looking for valid license to install... THIS IS WHERE I HANG
    I'm at an impasse here. I'd love to get this up and running so I can demo it to the higher-ups.

I'm a little bothered by what I see on your DNS as TB003.mydomain.local, as I'm guessing that mydomain.local is the domain and TB003 is the hostname. You want your dns to resolve the domain, and have TB003 as the host.

I found when I did my own install that same error "can't find TB003.mydomain.local" and when I simply changed the name at that line to just mydomain.local the install went swimmingly, and it got the hostname (and therefore FQDN) figured out later.

As for your license, I know some folks in the past have had the license hang because it didn't have the appropriate read permissions. If I recall correctly it was a license only root could read and the zimbra user was trying to read it (and failing). Try chmod'ing your license to full read permissions
    chmod +r yourlicensefile
    and see if that doesn't let it happen.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks DWM for the reply. I checked the perms on the license file and everyone had read access. I had decided out of frustration to nuke my zimbra install and start from scratch. I re-extracted the package, blew away my named.conf and zone file and rebuilt them using the directions in the aforementioned split DNS doc.

NSlookups, digs, and host commands all return the proper entries, so I think that's fine. However, when I tried to run the install, it died when installing the core RPM. So, I blew the extracted directory away, and tried installing the free version, instead of the NE version, just to get one variable out of the way. Sure enough, after the install was going well, the server hung again at the point where I applied my configuration.

Upon power-cycling the box, the zimbra services failed on startup, as I guessed they would. Fortunately they didn't hang the server on startup like they did with NE. Trying to start the zimbra services does nothing. The /opt/zimbra/logs/startup.log shows the following:

Code:
    Host tb003.mydomain.local
    Unable to determine enabled services from ldap.
    Unable to determine enabled services. Cache is out of date or doesn't exist.
    It might be the server, but this RHEL 4 box it's on was a completely new OS install. I've also installed Scalix community edition on this box, on it's own clean install before, with no hangups.

I'd like to give Zimbra a fair chance, and because I want to see if the web interface is really that much better than Scalix, but it the product won't cooperate, then that only leaves one other option.

Can you suggest anything else to get past the hangups?

I hate to say this, but on a quick search of the forums all I'm seeing associated with these LDAP errors you report is stuff saying "looks like the install went bad" which is not too helpful.

You said you blew away and re-created DNS, and it sounds to me as well like you have that part working. You also said you blew away and re-created the "extracted" directory, but did you also blow away /opt/zimbra/*? I ask this because I know there are some differences between the NE and OS installs and I don't know if any of them might lead to the headaches you are having. It may be that although you started with a fresh set of install files, a corrupted setting from your previous unsuccessful install is still sitting somewhere in the /opt/zimbra tree.

There may, of course, be something else that's blown up in your Linux distro, and that could be a major bear to figure out. Are there any other servers/services running (or formerly running) on this particular install? I know that in general the Zimbra installer is built around the concept that it's going to be the only show in town for a given box, and it doesn't always play particularly nicely with other applications on the same system. This isn't all that unusual for mail servers; a lot of admins would say your mailserver really ought not wear any other hats.

Failing that, I'm afraid I'm over my head, though some of the other moderators on this forum know WAY more about this stuff than I. . .I have always installed on Ubuntu server, so I can't comment about what, if anything, might be the special joys or tribulations of RHEL. Of course, I know that RHEL is also the supported OS for a network install, so I'm not telling you that Ubuntu is necessarily the way to go.

If, however, you want to get a clean testbed up and running for people to kick the tires and just see how it looks, I can tell you that this wiki for Ubuntu is about as elementary a setup as you can get and it has worked for some people (if I follow it to the letter it works every time for me). Get your people to see and love your demo open-source install, and then you can get the $$ lined up to buy a network install and have the boys at Zimbra paid support to get you through any hiccups.

Sorry I can't be of more specific help; with any luck other posters can fill in my inadequacies! Good luck,

Dan