Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installation fails on ubuntu 7.10

Hybrid View

Default installation fails on ubuntu 7.10

I'm installing Zimbra on a local ubuntu server.

-Here is the tutorial I'm using:
    How To Install Zimbra Collaboration Suite (ZCS) On Ubuntu | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

-Here's the output:
    chown: `zimbra:zimbra': invalid user

Operations logged to /tmp/install.log.5182
    Checking for existing installation...
    zimbra-ldap...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-logger...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-mta...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-snmp...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-store...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-apache...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-spell...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-core...NOT FOUND
    ./util/utilfunc.sh: line 457: rpm: command not found

PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE SOFTWARE.
    ZIMBRA, INC. ("ZIMBRA") WILL ONLY LICENSE THIS SOFTWARE TO YOU IF YOU
    FIRST ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. BY DOWNLOADING OR INSTALLING
    THE SOFTWARE, OR USING THE PRODUCT, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY
    THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS
    AGREEMENT, THEN DO NOT DOWNLOAD, INSTALL OR USE THE PRODUCT.

License Terms for the Zimbra Collaboration Suite:
    http://www.zimbra.com/license/zimbra..._eula_2.1.html

Press Return to continue

Checking for prerequisites...
    NPTL...FOUND
    sudo...MISSING
    libidn...MISSING
    curl...MISSING
    fetchmail...MISSING
    gmp...MISSING
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5...MISSING

###ERROR###

One or more prerequisite packages are missing.
    Please install them before running this installer.

Installation cancelled.

- I've installed all of the prerequisites per the tutorial and everything went smooth.

I would really appreciate any help!

Per the guide:
    This guide shows how to install the Zimbra Collaboration Suite (ZCS) on Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) and 6.06 (Dapper Drake) server systems.
    Ubuntu 7.10 is not supported either by the tutorial, or our installer. Try installing ubuntu 6.06.

curl...MISSING
    For instance you would run:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install curl
    (repeat for other missing packages)

NE: products/documentation.html
    FOSS: /community/documentation.html
    There's also:Ubuntu_6.06_Server_(Dapper_Drake)_Beginner's_Insta ll_Guide - Zimbra :: Wiki

If you're using NE you won't get help by zimbra technical support, so it's more for FOSS installs, but you can see this article:
    Ubuntu 7.04 & 7.10 (Feisty Fawn & Gutsy Gibbon) Install - Zimbra :: Wiki

I'm aware of how to install the packages, however what you missed was the fact that the packages are actually up-to-date. I'm assuming its' because 7.10 isn't supported that it can't read which version of each of them I'm using... don't know, fairly new to Linux too.

Also, I'm not sure what the network edition is so I don't think I have it.

Lastly, will that *work around* work if I'm *not* using the NE?

Thank you for you reply! It was helpful!

Maybe this should be another thread, but I thought I'd add the reason that I do not use 6.06LTS and instead use 6.10. Starting in 6.10 is support for mptsas raid controllers. Our servers use LSI hba's that need the mptsas drivers available starting with Ubuntu 6.10. I would think this is not an uncommon situation for a server's storage platform, but either it is rarer than I think or the solution is too easy for others to bother to report it as a problem.

It would be nice to find a solution as I am not sure where to go once I am no longer on a supported platform (either by Ubuntu or Zimbra). It looks like Zimbra 5 will no longer support the 6.10 platform. The designation has changed from 6.x to 6.06.1. I'm starting to get worried.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rfoster View Post
    It would be nice to find a solution as I am not sure where to go once I am no longer on a supported platform (either by Ubuntu or Zimbra). It looks like Zimbra 5 will no longer support the 6.10 platform. The designation has changed from 6.x to 6.06.1. I'm starting to get worried.
    The designation of a supported version of Ubuntu for Zimbra was always 6.06 LTS, no other version was supported.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Per the guide:

Ubuntu 7.10 is not supported either by the tutorial, or our installer. Try installing ubuntu 6.06.
    6.06 has issues

For some reason, 6.06 won't support my video card drivers so I can't get it to work properly. Never even get to a point where I can install ssh.

Thanks though!

Quote Originally Posted by josevis View Post
    6.06 has issues

For some reason, 6.06 won't support my video card drivers so I can't get it to work properly. Never even get to a point where I can install ssh.

Thanks though!
    Unless you're planning to use your Ubuntu box for a workstation as well as a mail server (probably not a really good idea) it probably makes sense to pull an old junker PCI video card and plug into your motherboard...no sense using a high-end graphics card for a box that'll never run anything but text and html. Part of the reason that Zimbra is recommended for Ubuntu LTS 6.06 is that this is the version for which the Ubuntu team has committed long-term support (hence the LTS). Thus security patches, etc, will continue to be available thru apt-get through 2009, without the whole apple cart getting upset by a new release. It's one of those times where "newest" is not necessarily your best choice. . .

But one other thing I'm wondering about--why does the graphics driver matter at all? You can install ssh using apt-get from the command line, and most of the other administration you will do on Zimbra is either going to happen at the command line or through the web-based UI which you can run from your own desktop machine. Your server is clearly driving a text-based screen or you would not have been able to run the install long enough to find it doesn't work. Just install the Ubuntu basic server package with no graphics at all and you'll have less of a drain on your resources.

Cheers,

Dan

Edit: Actually I mis-spoke on the date; 6.06 DESKTOP is supported to 2009, server is supported to 2011. Server is what you want anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by dwmtractor View Post
    Unless you're planning to use your Ubuntu box for a workstation as well as a mail server (probably not a really good idea) it probably makes sense to pull an old junker PCI video card and plug into your motherboard...no sense using a high-end graphics card for a box that'll never run anything but text and html. Part of the reason that Zimbra is recommended for Ubuntu LTS 6.06 is that this is the version for which the Ubuntu team has committed long-term support (hence the LTS). Thus security patches, etc, will continue to be available thru apt-get through 2009, without the whole apple cart getting upset by a new release. It's one of those times where "newest" is not necessarily your best choice. . .

But one other thing I'm wondering about--why does the graphics driver matter at all? You can install ssh using apt-get from the command line, and most of the other administration you will do on Zimbra is either going to happen at the command line or through the web-based UI which you can run from your own desktop machine. Your server is clearly driving a text-based screen or you would not have been able to run the install long enough to find it doesn't work. Just install the Ubuntu basic server package with no graphics at all and you'll have less of a drain on your resources.

Cheers,

Dan

Edit: Actually I mis-spoke on the date; 6.06 DESKTOP is supported to 2009, server is supported to 2011. Server is what you want anyhow.
    Thanks for the information. I am installing Ubuntu now in hopes of running Zimbra. While not new to Linux, but new to Ubuntu, I wonder what is so different in the two versions that it is incompatible? What does Zimbra's roadmap hold for Ubuntu Server 7.10 compatibility?

Normally,I prefer to start with an up-to-date OS versus an older version. In my mind, that's analogous to using Windows 2000 Server versus Windows 2003 Server.

Thank you,

Chris

PS, I might suggest to the Moderators that this topic become "sticky" as more people try Ubuntu 7.10
    Last edited by k7sle; 11-20-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added PS