Thread: Zimbra domain question

Default Zimbra domain question

Hi,

I am a newbie to Zimbra. So this question might sound a little silly, but I thought I would ask anyway.

When I installed my zimbra server, it created a domain in ldap called like mailserv01.example.com. Is that the correct way of doing things? Because once I start creating email accounts, I would expect them to be firstname.lastname@example.com, not firstname.lastname@mailserv01.example.com.

What is the best way forward here? Thank you.

Martin

So you have 2 choices:

Domain aliases would be a fast solution if you don't care what the underlying accounts are named: ManagingDomains - Zimbra :: Wiki

Though personally I would:
    Admin console gui > domains > make a new domain
    same as:
    Code:
    su zimbra
    zmprov cd domain.com zimbraAuthMech zimbra
    For a moment leave the old domain intact.
    Also leave the admin, spam, ham, and the wiki account untouched right now.

To move any accounts you've already created over:
    In the admin console gui you can just change the drop down box in the individual account > general tab to the other domain (just to the right of where you assign a username).

zmprov equilavent would be ra (renameAccount)
    Then you need to set that domain as default so users don't have to type in the complete 'user@domain.com' to login they can just type 'user':
    Code:
       zmprov mcf zimbraDefaultDomainName domain.com
    See this article if you need to script for a large number of users Bulk Provisioning - Zimbra :: Wiki

Note: As of 5.0beta2/3 there's a command to rename the entire domain:
    Code:
    zmprov -l renameDomain (or 'rd' for short) domain.com newDomain.com
    When you've done all that & mail send/receive works fine, let us know - and I'll explain actions on those 4 special accounts.
    Last edited by mmorse; 08-04-2009 at 09:06 AM.

Hi mmorse,

thank you for your detailed reply. Is there a good reason that by default Zimbra creates a domain hostname.example.com instead of example.com? Is it just pure caution to avoid any conflicts with existing mail servers?

Here is what is said in the install guide:

5) zimbra-ldap

Configuration includes the following:

Create Domain — Yes. You can create one domain during installation and additional domains can be created from the administration console.

Domain to create — The default domain is the fully qualified hostname of the server. If you created a valid mail domain on your DNS server, enter it now. In most cases, you will accept the default.

Martin
    Last edited by mbrijun; 11-30-2007 at 03:47 PM.

Mike, I'd like to know the "right" way to move spam/ham/admin/wiki accounts. After some trial & error & zmprov mcf I got it working with some hokey forwarding but it definitely isn't "right."

I wouldn't recommend renaming or deleting the fully qualified domain name because then you'll definitely lose email sent from e.g. cron on the local system. Best practice should be to run the system sendmail with DAEMON=no and alias root@fqdn to an admin account. A lot of people probably have a lot of stuff in /var/spool/clientmqueue -- at least two daily, the stupid logwatch default on RedHat systems, and Bug 19992 - Should quell cron stdout/stderr

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Graves View Post
    Mike, I'd like to know the "right" way to move spam/ham/admin/wiki accounts. After some trial & error & zmprov mcf I got it working with some hokey forwarding but it definitely isn't "right."
    Are you having trouble setting zimbraSpamIsSpamAccount and NotSpam (your mention of mcf)? OR changing the names of the accounts from the default ham/spam random numbering? (the wiki might just need it's template regenerated)

mbrijun,
    If you just move it and don't leave aliases you will have to zmprov gacf and set all the values to the desired.
    You can move the account to admin@domain.com then set up aliases,
    In 4.5 there's a bug when upgrading Bug 22028 - Upgrade resets destination of administrative emails
    (I set root & postmaster aliases as well)
    Last edited by mmorse; 11-30-2007 at 08:03 PM.

sry the spam twice always gets me:
    zmprov mcf zimbraSpamIsNotSpamAccount ham@domain.com
    or zmprov -l mcf
    Last edited by mmorse; 11-30-2007 at 09:07 PM.

Default set default domain name

@mmorse

I realized that the attribute to set the default domain name is zimbraDefaultDomainName instead of zimbraDefaultDomain.

Thanks.