Thread: odd behavior when creating catchall for multiple domains

Default odd behavior when creating catchall for multiple domains

Hi,

I have three domains, target.com, alias1.com, and alias2.com and wanted to define a catchall for all three domains to one account. So I did
    Code:
    zmprov modifyAccount user@target.com zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @target.com
    zmprov modifyAccount user@target.com zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @alias1.com
    zmprov modifyAccount user@target.com zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @alias2.com
    However, it looks like only the last config is considered. More formally, an account can be a catchall for exactly one domain. This is odd, as one would expect that one catchall can be defined for each domain, thus an account can be the target for multiple catchall-domains.

It works fine for me when this is done via alias domains. However there might be scenarios where it doesn't work out.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I'd recommend against using a catch-all address as they're a spammers dream. You can, however, use them in the manner you're (sort of) described. A catch-all can be defined for each domain if you have multiple domains on your system, they would be in the format:

Code:
    zmprov modifyAccount user@target1.com zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @alias1.com
    zmprov modifyAccount user@target2.com zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @alias2.com
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

You're right. But then you end up with two accounts, or one account and an alias. I originally planned to have one account as a direct target address for multiple catchalls.

This is not a real problem, but just a bit odd. I would've thought that the catchall-email is a domain setting and not that each account can be a catchall for at most one domain. It's like defining the password-field in a database as a primary key...

The implication in my post above is that they are different domains with a catch-all in those domains, that's what a domain catch-all is. Believe me, if you don't want excess spam you really don't want catch-all addresses in your system.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Believe me, if you don't want excess spam you really don't want catch-all addresses in your system.
    Yea. I know. It's for my brothers business and he prefers to delete spam for hours than loosing a job.

If the server has multiple domains then I suppose what you could try is the following:

1. Create an account in one of the domains that you will use to view all the mail (spam) and make it the catch-all for that domain.

2. For each other domain create a new account and specify that as the catch-all for it's respective domain, in the account preferences set it to forward all the mail to the account you created in step 1. That should, in theory, get everything into one mailbox.

Do you want to try that and let us know how you get on?
    Regards

Bill

Thanx for your help phoenix, but take a look at my first post: It works fine when using alias domains and it will probably work fine when using an alias in the alias2.com/alias1.com domain. The only situation where this alias domains might get you into troubles is when you have one catchall for multiple domains and different local users on each domain -- which is a quite unusual configuration, isn't it?

I just wanted to point out that this behavior is a bit strange and maybe somebody at Zimbra should write a PostIT for Zimbra 10.0 that the catchall-setting should be a setting for the domain and not for an account.