Thread: Zimbra on one server, mail spool on another?

Hybrid View

Question Zimbra on one server, mail spool on another?

Hi all,

I have an established mail server on a Solaris box using Postfix and Spamassassin. Do I have to install Zimbra on this server or can I install it on another server and read the mail from this one?

Thanks,
    Mike

Network Manager
    Fort Vancouver Regional Library
    Vancouver, WA

Default Delivered locally?

It depends what you mean.

If you want the solaris box to take local delivery from it's postfix instance, to /var/spool/mail/, and access that mail through the zimbra UI, then that's not supported. (It may be possible to sync it over with a cron job, but that's not an optimal solution.)

If, on the other hand, you just want to use the Solaris box as an MTA, and have it deliver to the ZCS server - then that's a simple matter of setting the postfix routing parameters (relay_host, etc).

If what you want is to have most mail delivered to the Solaris box, but you want some users (eg, you) to have their mail available on the ZCS server, then you could accomplish this by rerouting your mail with a .forward file or via procmail to the zcs server.

Default I'll take door #1, Monty

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    It depends what you mean.

If you want the solaris box to take local delivery from it's postfix instance, to /var/spool/mail/, and access that mail through the zimbra UI, then that's not supported. (It may be possible to sync it over with a cron job, but that's not an optimal solution.)
    This is actually what I wanted - to use the Zimbra UI and keep my mail server as it is now. I do like the idea of using the .forward file for each user that will use the Zimbra UI. I'll do a bit more experimenting - maybe with some sort of NFS setup.

Thanks for the quick answer!

Mike

I have a similar question which I suspect will get the same answer

We have an existing Postfix install also, but it already uses MySQL as its store. We also have an OpenLDAP install, also using MySQL as its store.

Is there any way we can integrate Zimbra with these? That is, keep using our existing setup as it is, but also as the MTA/store/LDAP for Zimbra?

It could be done but not with out some heavy work. Best be is to move your mail or just integrate with your MTA and LDAP. So your MTA can be the edge, and you can configure Zimbra to auth against your current LDAP.