OK, and if you use Blackbery services? We receive emails direct on mobile usind our mobile company service (they connect to our server via POP3, colect the mails for specific users and after that, they deliver on each person phone). How can I solve this?
And, in the company everyone use Outlook. An ideea is to search on M1cro$oft for an update - but I don't think they have something like this!
It might have helped if you'd mentioned your set-up earlier. :rolleyes:
So what you're saying (if I understand you correctly) is that your mobile provider is collecting mail via pop3 from your Zimbra server and delivering it to your Blackberry devices? If that's the case, surely you should be having this conversation with your mobile provider? I've just given you the details that collecting mail from a Zimbra pop3 account works, I don't know what problem you mobile provider is having.
If the above isn't your set-up then please feel free to correct it.
I bet you're using your carrier's BIS (Blackberry Internet Server). In this server, usernames and passwords are stored in clear text (I read that here on the forum).
Use it the other way round :
. get your carrier's to give you an email address (firstname.lastname@example.org or something like that)
. add a rule in your Zimbra server to forward your mails to this email address
I've setup this several time for customers (either with Zimbra or not), it works flawlessly.
Unfortunatley it's trough! Our Mobile provider collect the e-mail from our ZCS server! I try to discuss with them, but they not support TLS. To create another mail...no reason; the solution works fine now as is it. I use at this moment 10.4.10 - and all Postfix settings are OK - but all this time I test 10.5.2 to see what settings I need to do to disable TLS and change settings. I try now to force ZCS 10.5.2 to use the same postfix from 10.4.10 (2.2.9) but I don't know where I need to specify this settings in ZCS config file. Any ideea?
I make these tests on OpenSuSe and Ubuntu!
I think I find the sollution! What we need to do for POP3 access:
Step 1) Disable "Imap and Pop proxy" Services.
Step 2) In "Global settings" section Check only "Enable POP3 service" and "Enable SSL for POP3 service"
Step 3) Open Terminal and log on as zimbra user: su zimbra (or sudo su zimbra - for Ubuntu users)
verify if all ZCS services are started (zmcontrol status)...if everything it's OK go to the next step. Otherwise solve the issues.
Step 4) write this command:
zmprov -l ms mail.yourdomain.com zimbraPop3BindPort 110 zimbraPop3SSLBindPort 995 zimbraPop3ProxyBindPort 7110 zimbraPop3SSLProxyBindPort 7995 zimbraImapBindPort 143 zimbraImapSSLBindPort 993 zimbraImapProxyBindPort 7143 zimbraImapSSLProxyBindPort 7993
Replace mail.yourdomain.com with your FQDN
Step 5) Stop Zimbra: zmcontrol stop
Step 6) Start Zimbra: zmcontrol start
Step 7) Verify Zimbra: zmcontrol status
Step 8) Go in Outlook and in advanced settingns change Incoming mail connection from 110 to 995 by checking the SSL option.
I hope will work on all who have this TLS issue.
I wait feedback!
PS: if work please an admin to set this topic Sticky!
PS: and work also for Blackberry in SSl connection ;)
I am not able to find configuration my zimbra with (SMTP Auth)
if its a sendmail, you just have to enable sasl authd and build the sendmail.cf file from sendmail.mc.
The zimbra is very easy to install and configure. As its has simple .install script which take care of every thing.
But here i not able to find the option on how should i configure zimbra for SMTP AUTH.
zmprov command show the SMTP aUTH ENABLED but when i try to send a mail with option "My server requires authentication" checked in outlook or outlookexpress or thunderbrd.
it say you server done not support SMTP AUTH
If any one has already done this please provide the link to help pages