Thread: [SOLVED] Monitoring email accounts

Default [SOLVED] Monitoring email accounts

I know this probably isnt the place to ask this question but if you could tell me where i can ask these types of questions that would be great. Anyways i have a need to monitor a few accounts for my company to make sure that these people are checking there email and responding to there messages. Is there a way to do this?

Can i setup an email account thats a "catch all" for a few specific email accounts. Example catchall@domain.com gets email that is sent to ex@domain.com ex1@domain.com and ex2@domain.com. In addition to that can this "catch all" account get emails sent out by these ex@domain.com accounts? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by sel5150; 01-03-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sel5150
    Hi mmorse sorry to send you a private message but i wasnt getting any responses to my question. I am needing a solution to monitor a few email accounts that handle our customer service issues. Idealy it would be nice to have any messages sent to those accounts also relayed to another account. and when they send out messages also be sent to that account. Have you heard of anything like this or have any insight or suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Steve
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/announc...r-profile.html, here's several solutions based on how much modification you want:

Just so you're aware, the NE version has an excellent add-on that does envelope forking called Archiving & Discovery w/ cross mailbox search
    often referred to as ZAD for short - more on it:
    Zimbra Archiving and Discovery Whitepaper.pdf
    Zimbra Archiving and Discovery Release Notes.pdf
    Zimbra_Archiving_Discovery_Webinar_Dec_2007.pdf

Compare ZCS Editions

For FOSS, many use this method of archiving but it's going to grab everyone's email: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...lways_bcc.html
    In postfix it's essentially: always_bcc = catchallArchiveMonkey@domain.com

Individually you can use 'sender_bcc_maps' and 'recipient_bcc_maps' (search Postfix.org)
    Here's an example: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...html#post58005

Side Notes:
    - If you want to just get incoming mails, visit the account > forwarding tab > forwarding addresses hidden from the user
    - Depending on what you're trying to accomplish zmmsgtrace may also do what you want.
    - If this is a cooperative atmosphere you could do shared mail folders.
    - Last but not least (use appropriately & legally) you could 'view mail' on the accounts every so often. But using ZAD is much nicer because they could always delete stuff out of their inbox/sent & you'd never know it. (Same goes for how many use the backups on NE & the ability to restoreToTime as a 'compliance solution' - unless you restore to every last second of the day, then comparing differences, you'll miss stuff...wow that would be a pain!)
    Last edited by mmorse; 01-04-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Wow thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it!!! ill get started on it now!!!

Okay so i have succesfully setup the sender_bcc file. As follows

user@domain manager@domain

What im needing to accomplish is

user@domain user1@domain user2@doamin ----> manager@domain

Is this possible?? From what ive researched it looks like you can only do 1 user to 1 user. Is there a work around that im not finding? Thanks
    SEL5150
    ZIMBRA!

user@domain.com manager@domain.com
    user1@domain.com manager@domain.com
    user2@domain.com manager@domain.com

Postfix features on FC3 - LinuxQuestions.org:
    Postfix V2.1 supports a "sender_bcc_maps" function which is a lookup table of sender addresses. If the sender address matches, the right hand side of the lookup table will be added as a BCC to the e-mail. So effectively, you could add each user you wanted to log mail for, in the left hand side of the table. In the right hand side of the table you would list the admin e-mail address you want to send the BCC'ed mail to, so for example:

In /etc/postfix/main.cf add:

sender_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_bcc

Then edit or create /etc/postfix/sender_bcc in the following format:

locuser1@vitdomain1.com admin@adminsdomain.com
    locuser2@vitdomain2.com admin@adminsdomain.com

and run "postmap /etc/postfix/sender_bcc" and "posfix reload".

Basically any mail sent through postfix, with an sender address of locuser1@vitdomain1.com or locuser2@vitdomain2.com would also be BCC'ed to admin@adminsdomain.com.

Just FYI, you can do this based on recipient addresses to, with a similar format table using the "recipient_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_bcc" in /etc/postfix/main.cf

One thing that I think you should add is that for this to work (at least for me), I had to also run the commands: "postmap /etc/postfix/recipient_bcc" and "postfix reload".
    You might want to use zmmta.conf instead of main.conf so it sticks better - don't forget to recheck functionality on upgrades.

Thanks so much your the man! And i made my deadline!!!

Mucho Thanks!

Steve
    SEL5150
    ZIMBRA!

I assume you setup forwarding or recipient_bcc_maps for the incoming
    -Forwarding being maintained much easier in the admin console/CLI - being stored in ldap/kept through upgrades and what not.
    -Though you could always just duplicate the sender off the same file for simplicity.

Just a little forewarning: If you are to delete/lock/close the manager@domain.com account definitely remove those maps at the same time, as I believe if mail to the BCC address bounces it will be returned to the sender (which would get the original senders confused real fast of course).
    Last edited by mmorse; 01-03-2008 at 11:13 PM.