Thread: I think i have done my Over all layout Wrong.

Default I think i have done my Over all layout Wrong.

Ok.. i will try to explain myself best as i can.

Firstly i have a domain name chapmans.co.tt which is hosted at site5.com.. and it collects all my email for the company now.

Secondly, my zimbra indoor server that i have setup is configured and resolves internal at zimbra.chapmans.co.tt (10.0.0.6) and it sends and downloads emails wuthout a problem.

thirdly on the zimbra box i have setup a domain chapmans.co.tt and i have added my email address to it and it downloads the email from the chapmans.co.tt at site5.com.. it can send and receive emails without a problem.

Fourthly I got 2 laptops that will be in need of accessing email from out of office.. do i setup a vpn connection for them.. let them connect to the zimbra box via the web in outlook ??

I hope my 2 questions are sensible ones..

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

All you need to do is point your external clients to your public IP (via a url if you have one or via IP address) then open the correct ports and forward them to your internal server, you don't need a vpn. You can check the required ports here.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Just an idle question but why are you not having your email delivered directly to your Zimbra server?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

i doh know... had the domain at site5.com first... and i think just incase my server indoors fubars .. i can still use have an email server/service online..

other than that i dont know..

Quote Originally Posted by drdre View Post
    i doh know... had the domain at site5.com first... and i think just incase my server indoors fubars .. i can still use have an email server/service online..

other than that i dont know..
    You might want to consider a secondary but similar domain for your internal Zimbra server, for example chapmans.net.tt (I'm guessing here, dunno if that's even legit, but the equivalent of .com vs .net in the U.S.) and point that second domain to your Zimbra box. Then you can use fetchmail on Zimbra to retrieve all mail from the external chapmans.co.tt, and there won't be two different servers in the world that think they are the only mail server for the same domain.

That said, I think if your laptops would vpn into your network before they tried to send/receive mail it'd probably work; the problem is if the users forget to start the VPN first, they'll still be able to resolve the mailserver at chapmans.co.tt but they'll get the wrong server, which could lead to headaches. . .