Thread: Branch office, verify my proposed architecture

Hybrid View

Default Branch office, verify my proposed architecture

Hi, we're hiring enough people in the same city that we want to open a branch office. Currently we have a single server, Network Edition. The office will be in another country so we would rather not have our users network back to the States to read their email as it's rather torturous when dealing with attachments.

After reviewing the possible configurations (clustering, setting up a dovecot server over there, multi-server install) I am thinking of just installing a mailbox server in the remote location. This way, all the mail would be accepted, scanned, etc. on our main installation, and they would be able to receive (and send? maybe I'll just do that with boring Postfix) locally.

Is that the proper configuration? 1 Zimbra LDAP/MTA/mailbox server here, and 1 Zimbra mailbox server at the remote site? I'm not clear how I would tell the MTA to deliver the mail to the remote mailbox server. How is that done? Does the 2nd mailbox server require an additional license, or because it's 25 users, it's 25 users total no matter how many mailbox servers they are divided upon?

Our Zimbra license is up for renewal right now so I want to decide on an architecture before we sign the papers.

Thanks.

25 total - 1 license file covers the entire setup if their linked in a multi-server configuration. (If you did 2 non-linked single server installs with separate ldap masters that is supposed to be 2x25 licenses.)

You'll have to decide if you want an mta on the remote location or not so mail wouldn't have to go out through the server 1.
    Say you just put a mailstore on 2, your ldap/mta/store/logger/etc server1 will know where to deliver the mail, it's sending from server 2 that you have to configure: On the remote box see your admin console > servers > MTA tab > webmail mta.

Read: http://www.zimbra.com/docs/ne/latest...stall/toc.html
    Last edited by mmorse; 01-09-2008 at 04:56 PM.