Thread: Initial configuration

Default Initial configuration

Sorry for such a bone-headed question, but most of the time it's the really simple things that elude me.

I've tested ZCS and am ready to put it into production for a small team for additional testing. But I can't seem to figure out how I should do the initial configuration. I want to make sure that I enter the correct values for the Hostname, LDAP Host, Domain to create, and Admin user to create entries.

Basically, if I'm wanting to accept mail for the domain "example.com" and want all of my users' email addresses to end in "@example.com", what exactly would I enter in these config values? How about:
    • Hostname: mail.example.com (with that DNS entry pointing to this server)
    • LDAP Host: zimbra.example.com (since it's mainly used internally in ZCS and I've already tested the external authentication to our own LDAP directory servers)
    • Domain to create: example.com
    • Admin user to create: admin@example.com

Like I said -- bone-headed question. Thanks for any help. Oh, and outstanding product and future plans, by the way.

Your host name shoudl be your real host name that is in DNS and /etc/hosts for this server. Your LDAP host should be the same since your installing everything locally. The rest looks ok.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Simple as that. Thanks, Kevin.

Oh, and another big thanks to you guys at Zimbra for actually paying attention to your boards. Most companies don't. And you guys provide answers very quickly. With "free support" like this, your paid support must be outstanding. I'll be definitely be recommending purchasing the Network edition once testing is completed.

Wait. I just downloaded the most recent version and the "Domain to create" isn't there any longer. When I tried the initial configuration again, it creates a "zimbra.example.com" domain. Any way to change this?

Default domain to create

It's still there. When you hit the menu section, it should be under the ldap section. Hit 'x' at the main menu to expand all the menus, if that helps.