Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: [SOLVED] Can't receive and send mail

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    7

    Default [SOLVED] Can't receive and send mail

    Hello,

    After installed Zimbra in FC7 ( MX record still error, but I don't know how to
    fix it, because the MX record is assigned by ISP) , so that I Can't receive and send mail .....


    Thx

  2. #2
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leiw View Post
    Hello,

    After installed Zimbra in FC7 ( MX record still error, but I don't know how to
    fix it, because the MX record is assigned by ISP) , so that I Can't receive and send mail .....
    A search of the forums will find the answer you need. If you are behind a NAT router then you'll need a Split DNS setup.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    A search of the forums will find the answer you need. If you are behind a NAT router then you'll need a Split DNS setup.
    ya, the Zimbra is befind firewall, but how can I configure split DNS from ISP ?
    the domain name is hosted by ISP .


    Thx

  4. #4
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leiw View Post
    ya, the Zimbra is befind firewall, but how can I configure split DNS from ISP ?
    the domain name is hosted by ISP .
    Please read the instructions in the wiki link I've posted and/or search the forums for complete details on how to do it.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,027
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leiw View Post
    ya, the Zimbra is befind firewall, but how can I configure split DNS from ISP ?
    the domain name is hosted by ISP .

    Thx
    It is not the ISP where your DNS needs to be split. The issue here is that your Zimbra server needs to be able to resolve an MX record to itself, and that means it has to find its INTERNAL ip address (the real one, not the NATted on) on a DNS somewhere. But obviously, if that internal address were resolved by the DNS on the public side of things, everybody else would be trying to hit your internal address and failing.

    So the purpose of split DNS is so that your inside server resolves mail.somedomain.com to a different--that is internal--address than the one that I would find if I looked up mail.somedomain.com from the outside.

    The wiki Bill linked will show you how; hope this explains the why. . .

    Cheers,

    Dan

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dwmtractor View Post
    It is not the ISP where your DNS needs to be split. The issue here is that your Zimbra server needs to be able to resolve an MX record to itself, and that means it has to find its INTERNAL ip address (the real one, not the NATted on) on a DNS somewhere. But obviously, if that internal address were resolved by the DNS on the public side of things, everybody else would be trying to hit your internal address and failing.

    So the purpose of split DNS is so that your inside server resolves mail.somedomain.com to a different--that is internal--address than the one that I would find if I looked up mail.somedomain.com from the outside.

    The wiki Bill linked will show you how; hope this explains the why. . .

    Cheers,

    Dan
    Ok, I not facilitate on FC7 DNS, these do not have named.conf in /etc, so
    I don't know how to setup.... please can you tell me how to do it .


    Thx

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,027
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I don't have FC7 at all (I use Ubuntu) but I am wondering if perhaps FC7 has bind9 rather than standard bind. If this is the case this Ubuntu wiki, which uses bind9, may give you some help. Beyond that someone with FC7 would have to instruct you as I don't know.

    Anyone??

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dwmtractor View Post
    I don't have FC7 at all (I use Ubuntu) but I am wondering if perhaps FC7 has bind9 rather than standard bind. If this is the case this Ubuntu wiki, which uses bind9, may give you some help. Beyond that someone with FC7 would have to instruct you as I don't know.

    Anyone??
    I used another Centos Linux to host DNS service, I edited the Zimbra
    /etc/resolve.conf directly to Centos Linux, and then reinstall Zimbra. Now I
    can recevie and send email !!

    THX !!

Similar Threads

  1. Problem on receive mail and send mail
    By isacap18 in forum Administrators
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2008, 12:26 PM
  2. My Zimbra server down ... please help :)
    By frankb in forum Administrators
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-12-2007, 10:29 AM
  3. Only receive mail if I send it to hostname.domainname.com
    By mikeklingler in forum Administrators
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-25-2007, 10:58 AM
  4. I can send mail, but not receive (mac OS X 10.4.8)
    By yaxpac in forum Installation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-09-2007, 09:13 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2007, 12:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •