Thread: Split Domain Confusion

Hybrid View

Default Split Domain Confusion

I'm have been going over and over the forums and wiki's but still can't fully get my Zimbra installation working completely. I have my Zimbra box set up as a secondary system in a split domain. I've executed the commands needed for a split domain according to the split domain wiki. I have an internal mx record for the the Zimbra server.

Currently we have an old postfix/imap server and I'm not sure how I cant get users to communicate with the new system. I had Zimbra's mx record pointing to the same domain of the existing system but Zimbra support said that won't work.

So if my current working email server has an mx record for example.com, would I have to take that out and make example.com point to Zimbra and then Zimbra will route to the old email server?

Someone might jump in and say this is wrong, but I can tell you how I setup a Split Domain, similar to yours (old Postfix/POP3 server as primary, Zimbra server as secondary). We've been running with this setup for almost a year, as we have been going through an extremely slow migration to Zimbra.

Keep you MX pointed toward your old server. The Zimbra install will complain that there are no MX records pointing to your Zimbra server, but you continue past this warning. You do need to have DNS, /etc/hosts, etc. all setup properly, but I've found no issues with not having the MX record setup for the Zimbra server. After the Zimbra installation is complete, on the Zimbra server execute the 'zmprov' commands outlined in the Split Domain wiki document. On your old email server use the transport file to direct email for the users you are moving to your Zimbra server. Your entries should look something like this:
    jdoe@example.com smtp:[zimbra.example.com]
    where jdoe is a user moved to the Zimbra server, and zimbra.example.com is the name of your Zimbra server.
    After creating or modifying the transport file you must run 'postmap' against it in order to create/update the db file that Postfix uses (i.e. '/usr/sbin/postmap /etc/postfix/transport')

HTH
    John

This solution makes sense. The old server will eventually get replaced with either a non Zimbra or the Opensource version of Zimbra. Would I still have to keep the old server on with the transport maps running or would I still be able to change the Zimbra server from a secondary to a primary?

Hurstel

You should be able to change the Zimbra server from secondary to primary when you are ready. At that point you would want to update your MX records to point to the Zimbra server, and then undo the 'zmprov' settings that you made when you set it up as the secondary. Don't think there's much more to it than that.

Just in case anyone needs it, I have a similar split domain running with exim as the primary mta, if anyone needs to know how it was done let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scholes View Post
    Just in case anyone needs it, I have a similar split domain running with exim as the primary mta, if anyone needs to know how it was done let me know.
    I would very much like to know how it was done

I need exim to function as the primary MTA on one server, and Zimbra running as a secondary MTA on another server.

So the answer would be choice b)

OK assume the Exim MTA is 10.0.0.1 and the Zimbra server is 10.0.0.2

In the Zimbra admin console set the webmail MTA and the relay MTA to 10.0.0.1. Obviously all mail coming from outside the building goes to 10.0.0.1 as well. Basically all mail goes via Exim on 10.0.0.1 and you can run all your filters and aliases on that machine.

In Exim set up a router (at the top of the list) similar to this;

zimbra_route:
    driver = manualroute
    domains = your.domain.here
    local_parts = user1 : user2 : more.users
    route_list = * 10.0.0.2
    transport = zimbra_smtp

And the transport;

zimbra_smtp:
    driver = smtp

All users above in the local_parts list will get forwarded to your Zimbra server and the rest should stay local as per your local delivery setup. I use an IMAP store with Dovecot. I'm sure you can setup the Zimbra users in a file and have exim read that, would be easier if you have large numbers of Zimbra users. Something like

local_parts = lsearch;/path-to-zimbra-users-file/zimbra.users should do it

Hope this helps.