Default upgrade from 4.5.7 to 5.0.2

hi i want to upgrade from 4.5.7 to 5.0.2
    is there any problems i should know about
    also do i have to upgrade to 4.5.11 first or can i go straight to 5.0.2
    please i need help asap because i want to upgrade in the next hour
    any hints will also be appreciated
    one more thing i hope this is the right file to download
    zcs-NETWORK-5.0.2_GA_1976.RHEL4.20080130204528.tgz
    Last edited by ay4you; 03-04-2008 at 06:48 AM.

There is a cut-off point where it is recommended that you upgrade to 4.5.11 before going to 5.0.2, but I think you are OK at 4.5.7. If I remember correctly it was 4.5.6 and older where it was recommended that you go to 4.5.11 first. Search the forums to be sure. I went from 4.5.9 (I think) to 5.0.1 without any problems. The upgrade will ask if you want to do a database consistency check. If you look at your admin emails, the database check is done once a week I believe, and if the email doesn't show any problems you are safe to skip the check during the upgrade. Depending on how many accounts and how much email you have this could save significant time.
    one more thing i hope this is the right file to download
    zcs-NETWORK-5.0.2_GA_1976.RHEL4.20080130204528.tgz
    That's the right file if you are running the RedHat Enterprise version 4.x or some derivative (CentOS) and you are a Zimbra Network Edition customer. You don't specifiy what you platform you are running, or whether or not you are currently running NE or FOSS, so it's impossible to say whether that is the right download. (You should update your profile with this information.)

sorry its the Release 4.5.7_GA_1319.RHEL4_20070914153721 RHEL4 NETWORK edition
    that i use also the backups do i store them in the same directory or can i take them somewhere else
    i also tried backing up using
    zmbackup -f but it gave me an error
    also the database check is fine

Looks like you downloaded the right file based on the version you are currently running.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking about regarding the backups. But I should have mentioned that you absolutely do want to do a backup prior to the upgrade. Although it should be a smooth upgrade you never know. I'm running the FOSS edition, so I'm not familiar with the 'zmbackup' command.

Also, just thought of one more thing since you are running RedHat. There was an issue with people who had installed some additional software, which changed the version of Perl and that caused issues with the upgrade to 5.x. I think the upgrade script now checks for this, but just wanted to make you aware. You may want to search the archives (a lot of the posts started as potential CentOS issues).

what i mean about the backup is there are 2 full and incremental i want to do the full
    bare with me i have only started using zimbra
    do i store the backup file on the same server or on an other server just in case it blows
    i will look into the perl now

also i have been seeing alot on this ldap replication i only have 1 server and no replication hope i dont have to do any of the work arounds in the release notes
    im about to start this there anything else i need to backup
    specific i should backup because right now i backing up my whole server and dumping it on my backup server just incase i saw something about binary file what is that

With only one server you shouldn't have to worry about the LDAP replication stuff. As far as the backup, for the purposes of a pre-upgrade backup, where you store it shouldn't really matter. Nothing in the upgrade procedure should blow up the server to the point that you can't get to your backup if it was on the same machine. Having said that, backing up to another server is probably a bit safer. Again, I am only running the FOSS version of Zimbra, so I am not sure about any messages you might be seeing with the 'zmbackup' command.