Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Less than 25 user license

Default Less than 25 user license

Would Zimbra ever consider selling very small quantity network edition and zimbra-mobile licenses (i.e. 3-5 users?) either through reseller partners or directly?

We're evaluating Zimbra for work and I have been so enthralled by it that I have installed the opensource edition on a VPS server to handle my personal emails and domains. I have 3 other users on the server and would like to use the mobile features. Unfortunately, a 25-user license is prohibitive and un-necessary given my situation.

Also, I like the flexibility, control and security of hosting my own server as opposed to using a hosted Zimbra provider.

Thoughts?

Exactly the same boat here.

Here's to hoping with you

I believe a lot of people are probably interested in smaller license packs. However, thus far Zimbra has resisted. Their business model is to push smaller installations toward hosting providers.

Personally, I think they could offer small license packs without any technical support and make money.

Smile

I agree, I would not have any expectation of technical support from Zimbra at this quantity. I've not had any issue at all in getting great help here on the forums. I'd only like to have the full feature-set work with a license at this quantity.

Or, even better, expose 5-user network-edition licenses to the public for free wo/ any expectation of technical support. This would be a great way to expose do-it-yourself email admins to the full Zimbra feature set and snare new Zimbra addicts. The addicts who use Zimbra day-in and day-out personally will invariably sell this experience to their employers, who will buy big $$$ > 5 user licenses.

I completely agree. In the grand scheme of things their earnings aren't going to be made or broken by the average joes of the world, however many of them there are.

The medium/large corporations with steady budgets, re-occurring license renewals, support contracts, etc.. that's where the money is.

I'm sure they're also more than aware that a lot of the average joes who may work with a =<5 license package have a measure of influence at their place of business or with their client(s).

If they were to offer the NE version of ~5licenses for free or a very samll/reasonable amount of money not only would I switch at home but it would help me get it into other clients who are the smaller mom and pop type clients who have 10-15 employees give or take. This is assuming that adding on users to a 5 user pack can be made in increments of 5.

Small companies need collaborative groupware tools too

I would be in favour of a base price for the software, and then the ability to add mailbox licenses. The greater number of mailboxes the cheaper per pack.

If this pricing scheme was in place I would certainly switch from FOSS too NE.

It would also make a bundled solution eg. Groupware, VoIP, Firewall more cost effective to deliver to SMBs IMHO.

I keep on thinking that for less than 30 users, going through an HSP is a way better option (but I'm biaised, obviously)...

Licence + support + dedicated server (or VM or "big" VPS) + managing the server + updates + supporting your users + managing the backup is much more costly than the HSP way of doing it...

Maybe, but the other viewpoint is :-

1) Who has control ?
    2) May already have a existing infrastructure in place to support it
    3) Savvy admins and users

No real right and wrong, just more choice for the prospective customer.

It's a never ending conversation with good arguments on each side.

Agreed One for the sales team to ponder over