Thread: I really need apache/mysql on same server as zimbra...

Default I really need apache/mysql on same server as zimbra...

I need to use my dedicated server for like 95% zimbra and 5% apache/php/mysql. I have several usable IP addresses. Can I just configure zimbra to run on one IP and have apache on another without too much hassle? Don't know what do do about mysql though.

Would it be better to install zimbra native (ubuntu) and run another lamp in a vmware virtual server?

This server is quad xeon, 4 GB ram, 64 bit.

Thanks!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonythemediaguy View Post

Would it be better to install zimbra native (ubuntu) and run another lamp in a vmware virtual server?
    This is exactly what I do with one of my primary machines except that I am running fedora. I appreciate the separation that vmware provides and it makes backing up the zimbra machine quick and painless using snapshots.
    Jacob Turner
    Ringnebula Systems - Ukiah, CA

Would it be better to run a base install of Ubuntu 6.06 on my hardware, then install vmware server, and zimbra natively at full 64 bit (it's a quad core) with 4GB ram. I could run a separate lamp install of ubuntu on my vmware server, completely isolating it from zimbra. vmware server and zimbra server should be able to live happily together yeah?

I would rather do that than have two virtual machines runing (one for zimbra and one for lamp) or have the lamp native and the zimbra in a virtual server.

I have a hardware RAID1 card with 2x1TB Hard Drives and I would like for Zimbra to get the most it can out of those 7200 rpm's. Also I would like for Zimbra to use a separate partition for it's mailbox store, I'm not sure if a virtual machine can 'see' a real drive as an additional drive?

Thanks for your help

tony

In the situation I described above I am running fedora + directadmin (webhosting etc) on the actual hardware + vmware server. The one vmware instance is used solely for zimbra and works quite well.

Regardless of what plan of attack you choose, you should have more than enough hardware for a small operation. Currently I am running on my vmware/zimbra instance around 225 email accounts. Just about 1/4 of those use the web interface, the rest use pop3

Combined, both "machines" only push about 20 ~ 25GB of data per month but don't put any real strain on an athlon 64 3200+ with 2GB of ram. Pretty good bang for my buck I would say.
    Jacob Turner
    Ringnebula Systems - Ukiah, CA