Thread: Bizarre Zimbra OS X requirements

Default Bizarre Zimbra OS X requirements

So here's my situation: I have a bunch of PPC 10.4 OS X Servers in my institution and some newer Intel XServes running 10.5. I trialed the OS version of Zimbra and really liked it, so we bought the full version. Imagine my confusion when I discover that the full version is Intel 10.4 only.

What?

What good is that? Who even has such a crazy server configuration? Do I really have to roll back one of my nice new Intel boxes to 10.4? And why no PPC build now?

Anyone have any solutions?

Welcome to the forum.

Leopard support is beta for OSS in 5.0.5.
    NE support will follow.

Be sure to vote here : Bug 21441 - Requesting Apple-Server (10.5, leopard) support for ZCS

We have a client wanting to upgrade to ZCS 5 from ZCS 4, but they're running a PPC machine, and from what I understand, there isn't a version of ZCS 5 NE for PPC coming anytime soon.

So, they want to upgrade their server and change some roles for other boxes internally, but if they buy a brand new Mac, it'll be running Leopard, which means that ZCS 5 won't install.

We're kinda in a pickle here, what can we recommend to our client?

What it amounts to, is that ONLY Macs purchased between August (Mac Pro) or November (Xserve) of 2006 and January of 2008 can run ZCS 5, at least until ZCS NE is compiled for PPC, or until ZCS 5 is released on Leopard.

Any idea what the timelines are for these? Until then, we have a really frustrated client who wants the goodies of ZCS 5 (that they paid for) but is stuck either buying a used machine to get, or waiting for Leopard or PPC compatibility, for which there's a timeline on neither yet...

Absolutely correct. I don't know how Zimbra can claim that they're committed to the Mac platform when you can't currently buy a Mac server and put Zimbra on it, and this has been the situation for more than six months. The open source version has no such limitations, guess the jokes on me for buying the Network edition!